ODTS Poisioned from woodchips

Tree:Tment

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The other day after cutting up a large oak there was dust in my eyes (which hurt for a long time) it took a lot of washing out and did not clear until I had one nights sleep. I also I have been coughing up this green/dark mucus (and I don’t smoke) I have had no allergic reaction or symptoms, but I am sure what has happened is that I have inhaled lots of particles of wood chip and my body is now ejecting it.

The truth is its completely unnatural to breath in what we do in our job so no wonder why we cough, become ill and have reactions. If you are wise this thread should make you think seriously about protecting your external and internal body from the every day dusts in Arb/Tree work. I am going too buy a pair of ski goggles and a dust mask right now.

I am sure my doctor told me if you sneeze or cough up green stuff you have an infection often you will fight it off without medication. The thing I find the worse to work with is sycamore especially if its spalted agony in the eyes. I think spaulted beech is bad news too.

started reading up on this and pig farmers in america who kept pigs in sheds started getting it as they kept them on woodchip and the chip went moldy so when they were clearing out the sheds the spores were every were. and it is different from farmers lung. waiting to hear back from GP to see if they have any info on it or know of its existence. how many people go in unwell and gp says it the flu when it could be ODTS. also normal dust masks do not stop the spores being breathed in may have to be ones for doing spray painting that stop very small particulates needs a lot more research into this and maybe the colleges who do aboroculture should be making students aware of this. the report i read also

says that if you do get it you are likely to get it again as it affects the immune system to guard against it. be careful all of you who move chip regularly

Yes hedgesparrow it makes you hypersensitive, which means I think that you will become less tolerant of the dust that you are exposed too and keep reacting too the dusts thus becoming ill more often.

Do we think that this is going to become a serious issue that the tree world in the UK and further a field will take up and follow through?

Some one already mentioned that HSE might have a field day with it (in a bad way)? but I am not well read in this area.

Is it more common than we think are there any reports of it from the past ?

We need to keep researching.!

Edited by Tommy Hutchinson

I am sure my doctor told me if you sneeze or cough up green stuff you have an infection often you will fight it off without medication. QUOTE]

I think that might not be necessarily true it might have been a reaction to the dust my body might of created mucus to get it all out, it certainly was not healthy and I will be wearing a mask when having long periods of time exposed to wood chip.

if your using a chainsaw daily - making lots of cuts you'll be inhaling about 1 litre of chainsaw oil a year, add to that woodchip spores, oil laced 2 stroke fumes from the saws etc, diesel fumes from the chipper and the fine dust from all the cutting/chipping and you've got a perfect recipe for chronic ill health in old age or sooner than that, but that's ages away isn't it?

We should probably wear face masks more often ie chipping deadwood, crosscutting big timber in an enclosed space etc.

Edited by scotspine1

Good post, wise words. I suffered after a long day milling job on a piece of Oak. A packet of dust masks on the shopping list now. Although I don't relish the thought of summer work in a face mask, the potential risk (maybe in later life) is even less palatable. Appreciate the time, effort and research references previously posted. BZ