Incinerators in tree surgery

Rowden the cowboy

air burners work ok it the wood is clean, you need a good supply of waste pallets etc to keep heat in if the green waste is contaminated with soil or is very wet. i spent weeks messing around with one trying to get the same output as what was quoted to me but nowhere near achived the quantities i was told. also where do you stand with getting rid of the ash?? i know its easier to get rid of chip than the contents of a fire

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

parker your experience isnt much more than mine or rowdens. you re still at college with us.also with a chipper you end up with a yard full of chip you cant shift as fuel wood chip ect has to be clean.power stations also want clean dry chip.i think if this could be made and customers dont mind having a wacking great trailed inferno on their drive then brilliant. burning in some cases can be a lot faster (obviously depending on the timber) and cheaper than chipping. chippers cost what? £11,000 new for a tinnywolf? this will cost half that including a tractor to pull it. rowden at the next agricultural auction we must get an old spreader and try and make one of these :thumbup1:

Keeping woodchip clean isnt hard, and its pretty easy to sell regardless of moisture content.

I dont think any domestic clients are going to put up with a flaming trailer parked on their drive, or on the road outside their house. The first time you set fire to a phone line you will probably wish you have the timberwolf instead.

You could buy a reasonable secondhand chipper, even something other than a timberwolf if you detest them that much, for £5K, and have a useful machine for all your work, rather than something you can only use on a handful of jobs.

On the other hand, you could just load up the trailer with brash, and stack it in your yard to deal with later. Obviously i should point out that burning it once transported would be illegal.

Keeping woodchip clean isnt hard, and its pretty easy to sell regardless of moisture content.

I dont think any domestic clients are going to put up with a flaming trailer parked on their drive, or on the road outside their house. The first time you set fire to a phone line you will probably wish you have the timberwolf instead.

You could buy a reasonable secondhand chipper, even something other than a timberwolf if you detest them that much, for £5K, and have a useful machine for all your work, rather than something you can only use on a handful of jobs.

On the other hand, you could just load up the trailer with brash, and stack it in your yard to deal with later. Obviously i should point out that burning it once transported would be illegal.

Indeed!!

Also I think getting insurance for "it" would be interesting, to say the least.

[quote name=Adam;116554also with a chipper you end up with a yard full of chip you cant shift as fuel wood chip ect has to be clean.power stations also want clean dry chip.i think if this could be made and customers dont mind having a wacking great trailed inferno on their drive then brilliant. burning in some cases can be a lot faster (obviously depending on the timber) and cheaper than chipping. chippers cost what? £11' date='000 new for a tinnywolf? this will cost half that including a tractor to pull it. rowden at the next agricultural auction we must get an old spreader and try and make one of these :thumbup1:[/quote]

If burning was soo efficient and a more economical alternative to chipping why do the majority of tree surgeons use chippers?! :confused1:

If burning was soo efficient and a more economical alternative to chipping why do the majority of tree surgeons use chippers?! :confused1:

Burning IS more efficient and economical than chipping, BUT often there are many reasons preventing you from burning.

oh, i dont know you could always let them through the old sofa on and next doors old matress.lol:sneaky2:

with a chipper you end up with a yard full of chip you cant shift as fuel wood chip ect has to be clean.

But it is not difficult to turn it into excellent compost. Well rotted wood chip is the best compost I have ever used.

I have also spent a lot of time watching bonfires, and thinking they're much nicer than chippers, but still there has got to be a better way.

And the fact is that you can get a lot of very useful things from the distillation and/or pyrolysis of wood. Charcoal, creosote, turpentine and methanol to name but a few. During the war, they ran quite a lot of vehicles on wood by gasification (I'm guessing that was what the picture of the unimog was about).

So I have in mind a portable pyrolysis still. I might even build one one day.

whover thinks that burning is quicker and more efficient than chipping is using the wrong sized chipper.

I like burning, especially big piles of dried rhododendron, but for 99% of jobs, turning the chipper on is much quicker than starting a fire.