Old Massey starting issue

Le Sanglier

Ok so I have this old Massey for topping the fields, it would not start the other day, and when I say that I mean the starter would not turn, no click nothing,

After much cleaning and rubbing I bridged the gap between the thing above it (solenoid?) and the starter itself and bang off she went, now what does this mean? I know it's simple but not as simple as me and I don't want an expensive mechanics bill!

Thanks in advance,

Here is a pic of the tractor itself showing the starter, apologies if upside down, iPads seem to do that.

(Anyone know why that is as well?)

image.jpg.8ad20eb8878536254e3fb398884b2f2a.jpg

Edited by Le Sanglier

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My guess woul be ignition switch. Take it out and check you have voltage to it. Then jump the outage to the starter wire on switch.

Basically sounds like ignition switch is shot. Have a look at the wires going in and out of it see if one has gone.

Like GTR said - It sounds like the ignition switch or the solenoid. Place a live wire to the small wire of the solenoid first (to check function) and then work back to the ignition switch. MAKE SURE IT IS OUT OF GEAR! and the stop pulled out.

The Ipad: Like me, you do not hold it in its preferred upright state. Go to photos > select photos from top tabs. Open photo and select edit. rotate is at the bottom of the screen. I hope this is what you wished to know :)

Does this one have a stick start the same as the TE20? If so, the starter solenoids are notoriously dodgy. I've suffered with a cracked plastic casing on two solenoids which wouldn't allow the contacts to connect.

Sorry, stick start? Mine just goes on the key.Anyway I can start it now for the weekend, and the tractor breakers is 20 mins away but you have to take the part there.

In deepest France the don't call them vintage tractors they just call em tractors so no shortage of spares.:001_smile:

Cheers everyone.

Check the wires on the safety switch,located on top the gear box behind the air filter.check the voltage reading at the ignition,both sides of the safety switch and the starter.

Whenever my mf550 does not start but still starts using screwdriver across the solenoid the problem has always been either a wire off the high low. Safety switch or a lose wire on the same safety switch.