SRT base anchors and rescue anchors

• 9 months later...

In light of a recent fall by a climber in America, I thought it may be prudent to revisit this thread.

Oddly, I was thinking a lot about lowerable systems during the last few days.

So, since this thread was created, has anyone evolved their system and made improvements?

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk mobile app.

There are two reasons I don't work off a base anchor.

1. It adds a lot of stretch into the system and is a hassle when I take my weight the rope when climbing up branches.

2. Fear of cutting the static side. I've nearly done it twice!

What are your thoughts?

There are two reasons I don't work off a base anchor.

1. It adds a lot of stretch into the system and is a hassle when I take my weight the rope when climbing up branches.

2. Fear of cutting the static side. I've nearly done it twice!

What are your thoughts?

My preference is to tie in at the top. I still use my pulley saver just because I have it and the pulley helps with friction when retrieving.

I only work off a base tie if I have got my top anchor from the ground (rare), or am up and down. It's too darned bouncy! Plus if my climbing system relies on someone else's vigilance as much as mine I'm not too happy with that.

My preference is to tie in at the top. I still use my pulley saver just because I have it and the pulley helps with friction when retrieving.

I only work off a base tie if I have got my top anchor from the ground (rare), or am up and down. It's too darned bouncy! Plus if my climbing system relies on someone else's vigilance as much as mine I'm not too happy with that.

Exactly the same for me.

However, the option to be lowered from the ground just makes me think, should we all be doing it as standard practice?

If we do it for SRT then there is no reason why the DdRT climbers don't do exactly the same.

A climbing system that can be lowered from the ground means that a rescue can be carried out much quicker than another climber getting the gear on then climbing the tree (whilst brickin it!).

It's also a less gear intensive option.

:confused1:

Exactly the same for me.

However, the option to be lowered from the ground just makes me think, should we all be doing it as standard practice?

If we do it for SRT then there is no reason why the DdRT climbers don't do exactly the same.

A climbing system that can be lowered from the ground means that a rescue can be carried out much quicker than another climber getting the gear on then climbing the tree (whilst brickin it!).

It's also a less gear intensive option.

:confused1:

Interesting to see how many people use a floating anchor on base tie drt. It seems a lot of people stigmatise it's pit falls to srt. One problem with lowering a casualty could be getting them hung up or the rescue knot getting stuck while travelling up the tree.

Interesting to see how many people use a floating anchor on base tie drt. It seems a lot of people stigmatise it's pit falls to srt. One problem with lowering a casualty could be getting them hung up or the rescue knot getting stuck while travelling up the tree.

I doubt any if any use a loathing anchor on a doubled rope system.

Stretchier rope is favoured which would mean a very bouncy system.

The concern about a knot getting stuck is valid but could be avoided by better routing, most of the time.

I do what ever I feel safe and practical at the time, base anchors are great but do have there place. I don't mind bounce if it's in my system it's in my system either way I deal with it. 75% of the time I'll put in a retrievable top tie, but 90% of the time I will access on a base anchor! The way the industry has turned in the last 10 years there really is a technique for every situation.

Base anchors for pretty much everything but removals for me. Did a removal today on a base anchor through a tree nearby. I can't see an issue with it, you shouldn't be cutting near any rope, loaded or not. If you can't trust whoever is on the ground not to cut near your anchor, I'd suggest the issue is not with the anchor type. Don't drop things near enough to it to need cutting close by