Best way to judge weight of what we lower

treemanG

I once snatched a conifer out, looked down and the two groundies on the ground were in a heap on top of a metal shed roof! Haha. I personally thought it was abit on the big side but the groundies were adamant they could handle it!

It's not just you up the tree who needs to understand weights, your only as good as the grounds man,really it should be a team effort.

Nothing better than working with a groundsman you can trust.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i know it would not be much good when cut. but what about a spring balance measure as used in fishing. rigged in some way, so when you cut it gives weight of limb that's going to be lowered. you and groundie would then have a idea what weight you are lowering and work with that cutting smaller or larger bits.

but i am no arb person so i am just chucking in my two penny's for what it is worth. theirs a art to tree surgery. learn so much reading these threads.

watch experienced people and do not think of this having to lower heavy timber down. your clever bods. stick with me landscaping and hedgelaying.

• 2 weeks later...

Speak to Richard at kings wood training or catch up with him at the jones Arb show, he provided us with a very useful UK species orientated log chart. It's laminated and one of the team now!

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

This simple chart might be useful, Sorry but I cant remember where its from.

It gives green 'oak' a s.g. of 1 and you can see it allows for heavier timber.

Keeping things like this simple is valuable and what this chart shows nicely is the effect of diameter on volume/mass. ie

if d1 = 10 then d2 = 40 (and not 20 which is a mistake Ive seen happen)

thank for posting the chart, very hand way of keeping a check on weights, in my case not rigging down but load on the ifor.

The maximum weight of a 1.0m cylinder of wood with a diameter of 30cm (12inch bar length) is around 90kg. Just bear in mind that the force at the pulley (your craning point) is twice the load, potentially more if shock loaded.

This simple chart might be useful, Sorry but I cant remember where its from.

It gives green 'oak' a s.g. of 1 and you can see it allows for heavier timber.

Keeping things like this simple is valuable and what this chart shows nicely is the effect of diameter on volume/mass. ie

if d1 = 10 then d2 = 40 (and not 20 which is a mistake Ive seen happen)

The log mass chart is from the HSE rigging research document RR668. Well worth a read.