What would you do with this walnut?

muttley9050

Evening,

I aquired this piece of walnut a while ago, and I pulled it out the pile for my next project. Walnut crotch fork. 1.7mx1.1m at widest.

Was thinking a large coffee table top or something similar. Problem is that its not too flat. 12mm higher around area of fork. So would you just go at it with planes/sanders until you had it somewhere near flat on top, or would you c

Rip into 3, joint , thickness , and biscuit joint back together or something else? Or can you think of a better project for it?

I really love the part where the branch has snapped off, but am wondering if its too jagged for an living room table. And I guess I Will have to fit some dutchmans in the. Split to stop it moving. It's been planked around 30 years as best I can work out so should be good and dry.

Thanks

James

1371413425346.jpg.4f511c371278928ee4d2358b811951b4.jpg

1371413410212.jpg.3cbd616a811f7fedf7ede6fc93e73352.jpg

Edited by muttley9050

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No mate, its walnut.

To be honest, I know Ive hammered the fun out of the firewood comments but its a reflection of how I feel about the milling market. What Ive found in our area at least, is many folk make a big noise about wanting premium hardwoods for various applications. As a result I started milling lots of it. Anything from copper beech, walnut and yew, to very big english and which elms. Also trials with stuff such as monkey, tree of heaven and maple.

The dissapointment and sarcasm comes from the follow up lack of interest(and money) in the said boards, beams and interesting pieces. As a result I have simply either logged most of it or made various items for myself.

It appears, as I say there seemed to be very little real interest in it around us and simply not viable.

Sorry if Ive come across negative or irrative, but I do think its a shame such premium stuf has ended up on the stove.

I do have a huge interest in the subject though and like to see creations resulted from it, hence my regular presence.

No mate, its walnut.

To be honest, I know Ive hammered the fun out of the firewood comments but its a reflection of how I feel about the milling market. What Ive found in our area at least, is many folk make a big noise about wanting premium hardwoods for various applications. As a result I started milling lots of it. Anything from copper beech, walnut and yew, to very big english and which elms. Also trials with stuff such as monkey, tree of heaven and maple.

The dissapointment and sarcasm comes from the follow up lack of interest(and money) in the said boards, beams and interesting pieces. As a result I have simply either logged most of it or made various items for myself.

It appears, as I say there seemed to be very little real interest in it around us and simply not viable.

Sorry if Ive come across negative or irrative, but I do think its a shame such premium stuf has ended up on the stove.

I do have a huge interest in the subject though and like to see creations resulted from it, hence my regular presence.

I'm with you on this over the years I have had some really unusual bits and species of wood, after all the effort I have gone to try and sell it I have ended up burning it ,on my own stove, as a sort of top quality log, I then sit back with a fine red wine , and enjoy the fine burn as some sort of connoisseur of fine firewood , I'm not complaining , just enjoying, been burning a bit of Laburnum tonight, it was lush, had the stove door open, lights off, no telly, Jack Russel on my lap, room temperature red wine, happy days :thumbup:

No mate, there was no bad feelings picked up, its such a shame there isn't more commercial interest in home grown hardwoods, seems we would rather import it like everything else.

I however can't get enough if the stuff to mill at the moment. But not working in arb I don't have the same acses to the stuff as you. Id gladly mill some of the stuff that goes to firewood, but think it Will always be a market where firewood is far easier to shift.