chainsaws n metal detectors

predator

my good friend from ashtreecare sean has been so kind to let me clear up the unwanted logs you know the stuff twangs n knotty stuff etc thats hard and punish,s his log splitter etc

i find it burns longer and its free etc and i,am greatful for but when cut up with my chainsaw with a decent oregon multicut chain on etc sorry for blabbering on!!. Anywayi,ve hit a drainpipe some barbed wire nails screw in hgook,s etc etc so i,am thinking of a metal detector rather than sitting down with a kippered chain filing away over and over again down at my plot on a nice day when the mood takes me etc"" but its getting to be a pain now buggering my chains up

SO WHATS THE BEST ACTION JUST KEEP GOING OR SAVE UP FOR A DECENT METAL DETECTOR AND WHAT SHOULD I LOOK FOR ??

I bought one from rob d Chainsawbars ? chainsaw chains, chainsaw bars and chainsaw accessories

He's also got a video of him using it

I wouldn't be without mine I use it all the time and now when I find metal in the tree and mark the spot with a spray can its weirdly satisfying. I normaly just scan the tree from ground level to the hight I can reach as I find this the hot spot for finding metal in domestic trees (yes I find metal higher up but it's not as often as the first 8/10ft)

Also quickly scan timber for logging to give me some peace of mind that I've checked for nasties.

It takes seconds to check the timber and I find having one in your kit/tool bag well worth having personally as it saves my chains and saves me time. They aren't cheap but it pays for its self in the long run if its something your going to use often.

(Dosent detect stones and flints :001_rolleyes:)

JUST HAD A LOOK

thanks for the link etc thing is it only goes to 8" i,ve hit metal in the center of a 3ft trunk when logging etc so would think i need somthing that would go say 15" or am i way of the mark i suppose when ringing up i could wave the detector over the face of the log but still need it to go around 15" as my fire will take 17" logs all day as i can fit upto 21" and want or would like to cut to suit my fire to save work n fuel cuts etc or am i barking up the wrong tree and need to re think my metheod of search for metal in wood as some of the logs i get are riddled and i just throw them to one side for bonfire night etc

JUST HAD A LOOK

thanks for the link etc thing is it only goes to 8" i,ve hit metal in the center of a 3ft trunk when logging etc so would think i need somthing that would go say 15" or am i way of the mark i suppose when ringing up i could wave the detector over the face of the log but still need it to go around 15" as my fire will take 17" logs all day as i can fit upto 21" and want or would like to cut to suit my fire to save work n fuel cuts etc or am i barking up the wrong tree and need to re think my metheod of search for metal in wood as some of the logs i get are riddled and i just throw them to one side for bonfire night etc

A metal detector going down for 15" will cost an awful lot of cash - or if you find one that doesn't cost too much let me know! Most metal I've found is always in the outside of a tree - the ones I sell will sniff a lot of metal out but they are not perfect....

Look at this way - if you miss 80% of metal that's 80% less metal you've hit - rather than aiming never hit metal again.

:001_smile:

IMO I think they say 8" to cover themselves but depending on wood type and how big the bit of metal is it will go a lot deeper. I also don't often find metal in the centre of the tree as people don't start hanging things and nailing into trees until they are a bit bigger I'm sure there are exceptions but that's my experience.

All the best in your search hope you find something that suits you

Would be interested in what you use if you end up buying.

A metal detector going down for 15" will cost an awful lot of cash - or if you find one that doesn't cost too much let me know! Most metal I've found is always in the outside of a tree - the ones I sell will sniff a lot of metal out but they are not perfect....

Look at this way - if you miss 80% of metal that's 80% less metal you've hit - rather than aiming never hit metal again.

true 20% miss is better than 100% hit lol its just so mind bending when i hit metal 3/4 times in one day does my head in and wrecks the chain sometimes i have to grind/file 25/35% of the cutters to bring the chain back to life after hitting steel etc makes me cringe when i hit summat :thumbdown: grrrr

I've got my older one the head came off the other day - it works fine and I still use it for milling - but you could have that for £70-00+vat if you wanted. PM me if you are.

peeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeee mmmmmmmmm ddddddd you :thumbup: