minimum wage

frenchy

Natch, but the cost of everything else has risen.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

True, But so have company's costs increased massively leaving even less spare money, combined with less money per job due to competition increaseing exponentially, there creates the current situation of low wages :)

It is a shame that its such an undervalued industry

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True, But so have company's costs increased massively leaving even less spare money, combined with less money per job due to competition increaseing exponentially, there creates the current situation of low wages :)

It is a shame that its such an undervalued industry

to a certain extent, although IMO it's due to the economy in general and a glut of college leavers desperate for work pushing down the prices.

Compared to 20 years ago at least.

I think the industry is way to saturated with tree surgeons/arborists etc..especially coming from college.To many company's,to many people willing to work for a pittance.I could not afford to live on minimum wage,Would be better being on benefits which is another topic all together.

I think the industry is way to saturated with tree surgeons/arborists etc..especially coming from college.

I dont think the problem is the students with knowledge coming out of college - the industry wants and needs them (or the decent ones anyway) as the industry leaders and skilled grafters of the future.

What's not needed are the blokes that do a weeks short course on felling, and maybe aerial rescue at a push, and they go off setting up as bona-fide tree surgeons when they know absolutely nothing else but chop it all down!

The industry needs to put a stop to the 'do a quick short course and you're away on your horse' avenue into work and surely standards will improve further.

I dont think the problem is the students with knowledge coming out of college - the industry wants and needs them (or the decent ones anyway) as the industry leaders and skilled grafters of the future.

What's not needed are the blokes that do a weeks short course on felling, and maybe aerial rescue at a push, and they go off setting up as bona-fide tree surgeons when they know absolutely nothing else but chop it all down!

The industry needs to put a stop to the 'do a quick short course and you're away on your horse' avenue into work and surely standards will improve further.

As a sweeping statement thats not entirely the case.

I know many, many tree surgeons who have gone and done a "quick course" to appease the insurers. These guys however are the types who could teach the lecturers a thing or two due to their massive experience.

The lesson here is, dont go assuming those doing crash courses all know nothing. In fact it can actually be the opposite, in that the youngsters who spent "x" years in college leave with a stack of tickets, yet still know nothing of the real side of the job.