Interview tomorrow (what to wear)

pault

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever the boss says remember it IS an interview after all.

Indeed, and as such I would think through my answers to some obvious questions.

Does he have your CV? If so, scan through it tonight or tomorrow morning to remind yourself what he knows.

How did you get the interview? If it's purely speculative then he may know very little about you. If it's through a contact he will have an impression - think about what that impression would be from the person who knows you.

Expect questions like 'are you a team player or do you prefer to work alone?' - this is a very difficult question because you sort of have to be both, but you sound like an idiot if you just say 'I like to work in a team or on my own'. Illustrate it if you can with activities you enjoy - e.g. I enjoy working out in the gym for the sense of personal achievement, but I really like playing football with my mates on the weekend for the atmosphere.

Where do you see yourself in five years time? This can be a good one - larger companies are more interested in investing in staff, either formally through training or informally through experience. Do you want to be a lead climber, a foreman, build up your surveying experience? If the opportunity arose, would you be interested in taking some courses? It's not to say they have to happen and you don't want to give the impression you're imposing a 'career student' on them, but if something genuinely interests you to explore further where there could be mutual benefit from you doing it then it shows a level of commitment beyond 'I want to have left after a year to go travelling the world'.

What got you into this in the first place? Well, here you should be on home ground, but think it out in advance and be honest and it will show a level of interest and commitment, rather than drifting.

Just a few random thoughts :001_smile:

Alec

I had this last week. For the last 12 months i've been working for the local nhs on an 'as and when basis' however, i have never been laid off in the whole 12 months. For a few months informal negotiations have been going on about a better contract. Last week i got told i had a 6 mth contract on better pay, however due to rules and regs i had to have a proper interview, my boss just said come to my office for nine and we will do it then. Now as i was working that day i could of turned up in my uniform, however i decided that as it was still an interview and no contracts have been signed yet i went for the full works, trousers, shirt, tie and jacket. I know i made the right choice, just from the comments i recieved. You should treat it as a proper interview and nothing less.