buying a new saw

Alasdair

Unless you have some experience or have someone to show you, I would not recommend this.A tweek to far when setting the H screw can result in the engine running too lean and seizing,and most dealers are happy to retune after a few tanks for nothing.

If you have worked on 2 strokes before then fine but if you have no experience then best to leave to the experts.

And yes the dealer will run and set up the saw before handing it over to you!

i just use the little orange screw driver with the arrow on it. screw them back in and it is usually one full turn each, it will say on the saw. always worked for me.:001_smile:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

deeply confused by thread, just to say i run a ms200t, ms170, ms290 and ms660, as for 50cc i find 290 very good for money, but will say if you have the guns go for 660 there is nothing it wont handle, I also like using the 170 as smaller bar seems to make it nice and easy on mot aspects and forr felling upto 12" trees.

If its a Stihl saw the dealer will have done all that for you (its their policy). Have you collected the one from us yet? is there a problem?

the saw got passed on to me on friday mate and as far as i know theres no problem i was just wondering if the buyer had to do it or if the seller done it for you.

once again mate cheers for your help.

My hallowed 1999 Stihl 036 was set up at Radmore & Tuckers and has never been touched since, tuning included. Hallowed because as I've said on other threads this saw has no new parts other than a different length bar, chain and sprocket. It has probably done in excess of 15,000 hours and is still perfect. No friday afternoon saw here.

I've always run a couple of tanks through a new saw on idle, with a few blips. But I know of people who think differently. Thoughts?

I use the saw as normal but I try to run it at 3/4 throttle max for the first few tanks and make sure that it isnt overheating ie flush cutting stumps where it doesnt seem to get good airflow.

I was told many yonks ago that running a 2 stroke on tick over is not a good idea purely because it doesnt get enough lubrication from the 2 stroke mix since there isnt much flowing into the engine.

That could be wrong and you could be right, dont really know tbh. :001_smile:

Think ive read this before on here somewhere, also a mate i have in motocross told me that often motocross riders will say run it in as if you stole it, basically just straight in at the deep end.

But they do change pistons every few hours, so might not apply so much to saws. Last 2 saws i bought i threw straight in at the deep in, and touch wood there fine