The Stihl thing from another viewpoint

landrover 101

I guess from the outside that is how it looks and my understanding of what I have read but they will no doubt have had expensive lawyers look at the is it a cartel side of things

Ultimately you still have of choice if you are in an area served by a few local dealers I have around 10 within half an hours drive and they will all be competing against each other but on a level playing field so customer service is as important as price because regardless of price one dealer I don't like going into because the staff are all brain dead the next nearest makes you feel welcome and that your business is valuable no matter what it is for

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

What irks me is that I no longer have the choice of the dealers I like to deal with unless I waste the time to go to their showrooms. Unfortunately, it's not the same as chain stores who have an outlet in every town. But the solution to my dilemma is easy; I will maintain the Stihl kit I have until it needs replacement and then that will end my association with them. Any consumables eg bars, chains, strimmer heads etc can be sourced from other manufacturers from now. Problem solved. :001_smile:

A lot of industries are like that. They want their products sold through local experts who can sort any issues, make sure the customer is buying the right product etc.

The downside is the end user who goes to his local dealer for info then saves £50 by buying on line. Then when a problem occurs the on line company who are probably several hundred miles away want the manufacturer to go out on site and sort the problem. The on line sellers margin is so tight they cannot afford to go and sort it. Manufacturers are not by and large set up to do that.

In my industry the online sellers are more and more buying in grey market stoves from abroad, some of the UK arms of those manufacturers are now refusing any warranty issue on any stove not sourced directly through them. So the customer has saved £50 yet has no UK based warranty support at all.

As a small independent seller I have a good web site but I don't sell on line, a, my suppliers wont let me, and b, I want to make sure I am able to sort any issues that may arise with anything I sell.

A

A

I just looked on Jonsies site to buy a new Husky, it says he won't post them either!! Thought it just Stihl??

I think both Stihl and Husky have had this protocol for a while. If you are known to the supplier, in that you are trained/pro user, they will, or would have, posted saws. Both manufacturers didn't want liability issues with Joe Public getting new saws without some form of minimum instruction. (Two stroke mix in that hole/chain oil in that one:confused1:)

So, if you're 'known', you can still buy Huskies IMO

A lot of industries are like that. They want their products sold through local experts who can sort any issues, make sure the customer is buying the right product etc.

The downside is the end user who goes to his local dealer for info then saves £50 by buying on line. Then when a problem occurs the on line company who are probably several hundred miles away want the manufacturer to go out on site and sort the problem. The on line sellers margin is so tight they cannot afford to go and sort it. Manufacturers are not by and large set up to do that.

In my industry the online sellers are more and more buying in grey market stoves from abroad, some of the UK arms of those manufacturers are now refusing any warranty issue on any stove not sourced directly through them. So the customer has saved £50 yet has no UK based warranty support at all.

As a small independent seller I have a good web site but I don't sell on line, a, my suppliers wont let me, and b, I want to make sure I am able to sort any issues that may arise with anything I sell.

A

A

I don't want to buy spares online, just ring up, order and get it popped in the post..... like I've done for 26yrs, from a company - Dick Leigh- who 99% of the time has it in stock. Now I can't even order a keyring:confused1::confused1: