Soft Link or Not

antwood

Just wondering is it really any better to have all the extra attachments and possible problems than just using a prussik and Krab?

Not having a go at anyone else's system just interested, I like to keep things plain and simple with all of my climbing kit.

Safety wise I guess a prussik and krab is fine. I just like having a micro-grab for one handed adjustment.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soft-link. One of those 'stubbie' strops does the trick, they're about £4. If you've ever tried to undo a flip line (and get their spikes out of the tree) on someone simulating unconsciousness, you'll know why!!. If you haven't, try it, its bloody hard/impossible!.

it seems clear why you would have a soft link so surely you only got to ask why wouldnt you have one? are they a pain or something? cause surely theres no harm in having one just incase.

The only negative of a soft link is adding length which is why most people have chose the grab in the 1st place the way to add a soft link adding the minimum amount of length is a micro/quickdraw sling if you get the right length you can choker it to your grab then clip in your crab & it'll only add 1cm!!!!!!!! The sling must be rated at 22kn+ but can be any width/diamiter where as if you use rope the minimum diamiter would me 10mm & by the time youve tied 2 knots it'l add 10cm+ to your system preventing u from being as close to your work

hope it helps

i only climb with a wire core, i use a distel with pulley, job done.

is youre flip line spliced at both ends? if so what would hapen when you cut the distel when youre strop is ajusted to full/nearly full length?

oh dear

were back to square 1:scared1:

if it is spliced at both ends then cut the tail end off & use insulating tape to seal, then use more insulating tape & preferably some shrink wrap to build up a stopper which will fit through youre micro pulley but not youre knot, job done!

I use a short quickdraw as a soft link, it adds about 10 cm to the system but as i use a small roprgrab this will work when in contact with the stem anyway and can easily be operated in that position. The rubber grip keeps the krab pointing the right way too.:001_smile:

https://www.gustharts.com/Products/Arborist%20Equipment/Arborist%20Climbing%20Equipment/Accessories/Product/Petzl%20Express%20Quickdraw/