waste engine oil on chain

The Worker

yeah, there is a reason that it has been drained out of ya car!

full of particals and it is so messy!!

and for the people saying 'well thats how we used to do it' there is a lot of things we used to do but we have evolved and we know things now that we didnt know then.

bit like the chap i used to work for on exmoor who was suppling us with hydraulic oil for use as chain oil, glad it was his saw and not mine!!!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is new/unused chain and engine oil considered to be carcinogenic too or is it just one it gets used?

No I don't think so but inhaling a mist of it would do no good, I think most ends up absorbed onto the sawdust. Anyway I use food grade osr.

The carcinogens are PICs that have been dissolved in the oil on the cylinder walls, they arise because the combustion never gets to completion in the same way that the smoke from a cigarette is incomplete, otherwise there would be a flame presence rather than the red glow of just primary combustion.

Wow i did not know this

I do a lot of work with waste engine oil and it dose soak through your boiler suite into your skin

The main thing is to keep your underwear free of the contamination, and wash oily hands before taking a piss, it seems to be fairly specific to younger men.

I knew a biologist who had some sort of job for Wills tobacco, despite denying that cigarette smoke was a cause of lung cancer their motor shop apparently had a sign warning of the dangers of used engine oil, this would have been early 70s.

Makes you think though, anyone involved in handling oils and greases involved with machinery should take precautions against exposure.

Hydraulic oil is thought to be another nasty so iv just read, don't think lithium grease Is too bad though.

hydraulic oil is nasty stuff it burns if it gets on you. hate having to do anything with hydraulics.