Wanting to buy a tractor mount log splitter with large blade.

Woodworks

The beauty of the browns one is you can use it one handed :thumbup1:

Ive also recently just got a riko pto pump splitter but not had chance to give it a real try yet it is however very fast!

be interested how you go with the Riko Dan, looking at buying a splitter for doing 1.2m billets soon .

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dan i have been running my browns splitter of my mf 6480 (170hp) recently, on tick over and its very fast! you wouldnt want it returning anyquicker!!

My tractor is 25 years old so i reckon the hydraulics arent the best! Mine doesnt return that slow but the downward speed of the riko is awesome as its got the 2 speed system.

be interested how you go with the Riko Dan, looking at buying a splitter for doing 1.2m billets soon .

Ive only had a couple of 2-3 hour stints on the riko but i am very pleased with it, Its very well thought out it can go on my little kubota as the linkage pins are universal and they also adjust.

I also ran the riko road tow for several years without problems and this one is the same only pto version.

Why must the splitting edge stop 50mm short of the base?

And then surely if one fits the factory supplied 1/2 height splitting table, this no longer applies (and I appreciate there is an adjustable stop controlling the hydraulics)

A few layers of plywood make the best non damaging end stop btw.

cheers

marcus

Same as the two handed thing, to lessen the risk of serious injury to the operator. I argued with them at the factory over it once and was shown the documentation that they had to work to so couldn't argue :blushing:

Regarding the table, as you say the adjustable stop accounts for it - if you don't use it then who's going to know. If you then had an accident that could have been avoided by using it as designed, then it's deemed to be operator error.

It's crackers, I agree, but that's the way it is :001_smile:

Few video's here woodworks documenting the thor magik log splitter I have. It runs off an old mf 35 pto mostly at tick over. Very light on diesel, and great turn around ram speeds. The knife/blade on the end of the ram is reasonably large as well. I use it mostly for billets, but I welded up a very basic table for blocks. Expensive, but this will last me forever.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR4OFgTCqI8&feature=share&list=UUon5mJhm3OfyzvML3ehYauA]Thor Magik 13 (pto) Splitting some rough bits - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHMvp8qfkKw&feature=share&list=UUon5mJhm3OfyzvML3ehYauA]Splitting fresh Sycamore - YouTube[/ame]

Surely in the 2nd clip it would have been faster NOT to have used the pick.

I took it particularly odd using the pick to lift the lower end of the wee log.

Clamp upper end against gut with both hands and swing into position, works for me.

PS

I have always admired the Thor "Magic" fast single handed action until the blade meets resistence/is just engaged, very slick.

PPS

I am envious of that lovely regular same-sized straight knot free sycamore.

I assume? the first vid was splitting the knots cut from the second vid material.

Edited by difflock

haha 'wee log' you calling me a girl!! No I like the old sappie, saves lots of hardship dragging and gripping etc. Bit slower alright, but saves time in the long run for me.

Magik works well until the guides get all sapped up from soft woods, then it can annoying - otherwise a very safe and easy system to use.

No the first vid was the very first go with the machine when I bought it in late 2011. There was a pile of 'impossibles' or 'pigs' in the back of shed left there for years, after various attempts with mauls and sledges. Easy shearing hey.

Rowan,

A "sappie" will be one of my forthcoming purchases (or made from scratchs'sis'is)

However, as an Ex 8 stone adolescent ( who carried a 50kg bag of cement, on his shoulder, down Dollar Glen in Scotland, for a 1/2 mile or I like to think going on a mile, car park to bridges, WITHOUT STOPPING or resting, in 1982 I think I recall)

Nah!

thems "wee logs" for sure (must be the Porridge in the morning/Co Antrim air)

This could also be why my back creaks bytimes.