Japannese Knotweed

Tigger the Trigger

its is a notifiable weed and should be notified

Rubbish mate, there is no such thing as a notifiable weed.

As far as having to report it, rubbish too. You can grow as much of it as you like on your own land.

It is an offence to plant or cause it to grow in the wild though.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Repeated applications of bog standard glyphosphate will kill it, needs 2 or 3 doses in succession though.

cheers

marcus

PS

Re "notifiable weeds"

= Docks, Scotch Thristles, Ragwort.

These 3 only I think.

Under Agric regs, one should and can be compelled to control, regardless of land ownership, simply because the seed will contaminate ajoining landowners properties.

Edited by difflock

Interesting on Natural England about notifiable weeds etc

Legal status

Injurious weeds - five weeds are classified under the Weeds Act 1959: common ragwort (Senecio jacobaea), spear thistle (Cirsium vulgare), creeping or field thistle (Cirsium arvense), broad-leaved dock (Rumex obtusifolius) and curled dock (Rumex Crispus). It is not an offence to have these weeds growing on your land and species such as ragwort have significant conservation benefits. However they must not be allowed to spread to agricultural land, particularly grazing areas or land which is used to produce conserved forage. Enforcement notices can be issued following complaints requiring landowners to take action to prevent the spread of these weeds.

Invasive plants - Please note that we are not able to follow up complaints about weeds not covered by the Weeds Act such as Japanese knotweed, giant hogweed and Himalayan balsam. It is an offence under section 14(2) of the Wildlife and Countryside act 1981 to "plant or otherwise cause to grow in the wild" any plant listed in Schedule nine, Part II to the Act. This includes Japanese knotweed. It is not an offence to simply have it growing in your garden or on your land and there is no specific legal requirement to control it if it is (unless doing so forms part of a legally binding contract or agreement with another party).

You can certainly get rid of it with repeated spraying of Roundup or equivalent. Can take 3 years though. I finally got rid of a big patch by 500 gauge polythene and a thick mulch.

If you do report it I think the EA and LA are supposed to be notified, but if you're going to control it, about 2ml needs to be injected into the stem, I use a big needle and syringe, and inject it neat/undiluted

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

We only inform the EA of Japanese Knotweed, Himalayan Balsam and Giant Hogweed if it needs to be treated on any of our sites and the spraying is within 25 metres of a watercourse. The rest of the time we just bosh on with it. We only use Glypho 360 next to watercourses because as soon as the chemical hits the river water it becomes super dilute and wont harm anything.

If you can run pigs on the land where the knotweed is (known locally here as peashooters, 'cos kids can use the hollow stem for a peashooter) they will love it. They'll eat down the top growth, dig up & eat the rhizomes, & root out the woody basal growths. You can then collect & burn these woody bits. I eradicated a good patch in one of my fields in this way some years ago & I've never had any regrowth at all.

Spraying with glyphosate will work but it's not a spray & forget process- you'll almost certainly have some regrowth, but over a few years you CAN completely clear it.

Are they perhaps officially referred to as "Noxious" weeds, again in official circulars etc sent out by the agricultural.

Not notifable, but as properly quoted somewhere above legally actionable by the relevant agricultural authority, if a causing a nuisence notified or reported by others.