termination knots

DrewB

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear that... You say you clipped into the wrong eye? If the knot is Tied Dressed and Set correctly then there is no wrong loop to clip into. I am not saying this couldn't happen but as a climber I always visually check the knot before clipping into krab. There has never been a wrong loop yet. Any knot if tied incorrectly may lead to failure. IMO the failures of the knot are down to the climbers error and not the knot itself (if it is TDS correctly).

anyway peeps, keep looking and keep safe.:001_cool:

Yes, it was completely my fault. I didn't check the knot before clipping in to it. It was a very early morning and the knot was already tied the day before. I know it's stupid. Normally I consider myself to be a safe climber, but we all makes mistakes. That's why I don't like the yosemity tie-off. But if it is dressed properly, you won't clip in to the wrong loop. As I see it, the problem is, that the knot easeally can get "un-dressed" while you climb - and that is the problem.

That's just my openion. :-)

Stay safe.

Peder.

what gives you that impression? i always buy a spliced rope, but it is good practice to sometimes climb on the other end of the rope to avoid uneven wear and memory in rope. plus the occasional sawpod problem lifting the silky outta the sheath and damaging the rope :thumbdown:

I am surprise at how many folk are too tight to buy a rope that has a splice made into the end by the manufacturer.

Or am I just an old geezer who likes a neat termination .:scared1:

My rope has no eye on at the moment! so I'm back to a bowline.

The lad that used to climb for me used 'my' rope on his second to last day at work while I was down at the game fair.

It had only been loler examined a few days earlier!

He managed to nick it whilst topping out a conifer.

He rang up and apologised but I went yeah yeah yeah, thought it was a wind up cos he was leaving!

Monday morning and I had to take 2m off a nearly new rope!

And make a note in the 'remarks' column of the loler sheets "shortened by 2m - monitor":001_tongue:

earlier this week i wanted to test some splices so fastened a mallion through splice hooked it through the pin on back of tractor and tied an alpine butterfly which i put through the pin on 17t wagon

butterfly broke where it entered the knot then tied a fig 8 and guess what that broke in exactly the same place the splice was not whipped and it actually pulled ever so slightly tighter

it was blaze by the way with a min bs of 2450kg