Kretzschmaria beech removal - how to organise???

Andrew Barrett

As long as there are no underground services and is far enough from property, put some boards down, rope the stems to get it moving, straight fell onto the boards/tarmac. With the factors against the tree I would not climb it, would not use a mewp as the unbalance of removing the crown could cause failure, put enough money on it to cover any damage, the worst is a few dents in the tarmac. Why risk someone climbing it or it failing into the road.At least you can then control where it goes.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets be honest tho, it's not a large tree is it. To get a crane in would be quite an expense, and by the looks of the pic would need traffic management to safely situate the crane......

I've been involved in crane jobs, your right the trees do come down in no time, but there's not much of an area to store the logs and brash so the clean up will still take a while..... And it's not a tricky take down at all......

So which ever way you look at it there won't be much change out of a day....

That's just my opinion

For the size of the tree you need at least a 23m platform which would include delivery, a 35 ton crane would probably be sufficient to deal with that tree and I'd hazard not far of the platform hire costs, but of course all you points are valid and its a matter of opinion.

I only glanced at the pics as experience tells me there is know way for us to judge from a 2D pic the best way of tackling this tree and there is probably more than one way with the same outcome price and profit.

Straight felling looks appealing, maybe the tree is deceptively big hard to judge from the pics but it looks to me a reasonable size, it also looks biased to the road and the drop zone just about big enough, thing is Beech from my experience doesn't have the kind of hold I'd want in its wood to make a precision fell in a built up area let alone with the graft and Kretz present.

I,d have to see it myself to have a better idea, but my 2 pennies is still crane no straight fell to risky, mewp to costly and unproductive.

It is interesting though to think about it and air opinion on how you would go about a fell like this.

Edited by Marc

Evening,

Are you not all bigging up the risk here?

I mean, climber of 65kg with 6kg of kit could take off the crown with a silky without stressing the tree as the windage would be a higher loading factor than a wee man and a saw. Chog down the rest onto a mattress of branches even slicing the stem into wee thin rounds so no need to add armour plating.

That tree, I'd charge 1200euros here in the same circumstances.

Regards

MEWP in to dismantle from car park, Tractor crane unit with trailer for large sections of timber. Based on what I can see from pics, this would take roughly from 8am to 2pm. Appropriate traffic management in place or wing it with a couple banksmen on a Sunday.

For me, MEWP is a bit of a waste of time, dont get me wrong, they definately have their place, i've done plenty of jobs from a MEWP, but i reckon they're slow and can get in the way of a drop zone.

Cranes are great, could easily get that down and tidied away with a good couple of blokes and the right kit on the ground by lunch, although, given i know where that tree is and how busy the junction can get, i reckon it might be a pain in the arse fitting everything in. For me, Rigging it down into the drive would be my choice. Ustulina is a nasty one, but i reckon if your gentle, it'll come down a breeze. Felling it would be a no no for me, no knowing which way it'd go. Thats my take

For me, MEWP is a bit of a waste of time, dont get me wrong, they definately have their place, i've done plenty of jobs from a MEWP, but i reckon they're slow and can get in the way of a drop zone.

Cranes are great, could easily get that down and tidied away with a good couple of blokes and the right kit on the ground by lunch, although, given i know where that tree is and how busy the junction can get, i reckon it might be a pain in the arse fitting everything in. For me, Rigging it down into the drive would be my choice. Ustulina is a nasty one, but i reckon if your gentle, it'll come down a breeze. Felling it would be a no no for me, no knowing which way it'd go. Thats my take

Good take

MEWPs are only slow if the operators are inexperienced or your using the wrong machine. Crane in my opinion is overkill for this. MEWP or climb surely.