Living without a chipper....

Ty Korrigan

Morning,

I remember it well but who still does?

With tips charging for waste here and burning forbidden all year round (although many still do on the fly)

We've just done a large macro removal and stump, a day for 3.

All branches chipped up to 6" so that was all the green.

One and half tippers worth of logs.

The client 'told' us he thought it would be cheaper and simpler to stack the brash in a trailer and take it to the tip and had previously almost insisted we do so 'bizzare'...

We of course ignored him then just to make sure turned up on a day we knew he wasn't around to advise further.

(I love it when clients know best...)

But, it got me thinking, if I had no chipper at all, just how much longer would the job have taken me?

AND at 12euros per m2 what tip fee would I have been looking at BLERK!

It's one thing to 'rasher down' as Sanglier say's a birch or small tree into your tipper with a saw but imagine any gurt coni take down.

Are we looking at 4 times the mass before chipping or more?

As it was there where 4 tipper loads so 5-6 ton. PLUS the logs which went to a good home.

Regards

It would be horrible not chipping, like the old days, stack on trailer, mash up, get as much on as possible and then mash again, then go and unload and burn then go back for more.:)

Sent from Outerspace.

It was a PITA! My old boss used a flat bed tranny and we had to stack it such a way that you could push it off (sometimes!)

As time moved on he lost jobs because others used chippers and undercut him.

Mind you the old sod would never listen to any new ideas. I try not to be like him!

Mash up

A blast from the past- the things we did to get a load on.

Never felt the need for chainsaw boots and trousers more than then perched on top of a pile of wobbly branches.

Chipper is the only way if you can't burn on site

The question is- how big:001_smile:

BTW- France not allowing bonfires- thats worse than UK - unbelievable:001_smile:- I thought you could do what you wanted within reason over there.

It would be horrible not chipping, like the old days, stack on trailer, mash up, get as much on as possible and then mash again, then go and unload and burn then go back for more.:)

Sent from Outerspace.

Yep . remember it . Getting tired on a baking hot day and catching the sides of the truck with the saw . orrible !

Mash up

A blast from the past- the things we did to get a load on.

Never felt the need for chainsaw boots and trousers more than then perched on top of a pile of wobbly branches.

Chipper is the only way if you can't burn on site

The question is- how big:001_smile:

BTW- France not allowing bonfires- thats worse than UK - unbelievable:001_smile:- I thought you could do what you wanted within reason over there.

I cannot speak for Normandy, down here fires are ok but not if its dry between May and Oct,compared to the UK you can do what you want.

I think every new start should be made to try and smash 3 trees into a trailer and then get it out again, only then will they truly realise the true value of the chipper!

Good idea! Then they might be a bit more careful with what went in!

Today after being let down by the brash dragger ( my cousin !! )

I reduced a rather large leylandii hedge

Each time I came out of the hedge I mashed the brash filled 6 bulk bags dragged 30metres to the narrow side gate then lift onto my truck drive 2 miles to the estate then empty the bags onto the recycling pile

Hedge reduced and 21 bags later I finished for the day

A chipper would not have saved me anything apart from a few miles driving to unload bags

Hard days @ work tis good for the soul