Andy R

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

haha, no worries dude. :001_smile:

I couldn't tell you if I wanted to. This guy has been building and driving this kind of machinery his whole life, so has his brother and so did his father...He has Boughton winches, Matador's, fordson majors etc etc...all of it is used all year round, all of it has been built with his own fair hands...and most of it is called into pull the modern equivalents out of the mire when they get in too deep...After the floods he spent weeks clearing up the mess, pulling capsized 70footers out of the avon etc...what he doesn't know about winches and cranes and how to use them isn't worth knowing. I trust him, my boss trusts him and so does the firm we were subbying to today. I don't want to, need to or care to, check his equipment or credentials.

I couldn't tell you if I wanted to. This guy has been building and driving this kind of machinery his whole life, so has his brother and so did his father...He has Boughton winches, Matador's, fordson majors etc etc...all of it is used all year round, all of it has been built with his own fair hands...and most of it is called into pull the modern equivalents out of the mire when they get in too deep...After the floods he spent weeks clearing up the mess, pulling capsized 70footers out of the avon etc...what he doesn't know about winches and cranes and how to use them isn't worth knowing. I trust him, my boss trusts him and so does the firm we were subbying to today. I don't want to, need to or care to, check his equipment or credentials.

:congrats::congrats:

is his second name dibna?:001_smile:he probably forgets more each day than most learn in a lifetime

is his second name dibna?:001_smile:he probably forgets more each day than most learn in a lifetime

lol.true though. It's an absolute joy to work with him and his kit, salt of the earth and no mistake....to be fair we use modern kit all the time, the latest and greatest grinders, chippers, cranes etc...but I am very lucky to have been able to work with this kind of kit as well. He has a monster boughton winch on the back of a fordson major, with a steel re-inforced underbelly that would put a sherman tank to shame...it will pull anything out of anyhwere I sh1t you not. Love it.:001_smile:

looks like a great job mate.

i have one question ive seen alot of pics of you guys using cranes, my question is how do you got about getting then and doing them? well other than needing a crane and someone who can operate it. but what i mean is do you need tickets or a ticket to work along side a crane? and how does everyone know whats going on? ie how does the crane driver know when to lift, lower etc etc. is it hand signals or radio headsets?

i have one question ive seen alot of pics of you guys using cranes, my question is how do you got about getting then and doing them? well other than needing a crane and someone who can operate it. but what i mean is do you need tickets or a ticket to work along side a crane? and how does everyone know whats going on? ie how does the crane driver know when to lift, lower etc etc. is it hand signals or radio headsets?

im pretty sure my family definatly dont have the right tickets, im not gunna lie,.

My granddad does have somthing he had to do when working in the saw mills for yard forklifts and stuff like that, whether that covers cranes i dunno,

Would like to find some more out about the tickets.

As for signals, we use hand signals or just yell! ha

Usually the crane driver will be in a line of sight with the climber, you will have a banksman..(groundie)..and he must at all times know what is happening, what is going to happen next and be ready to communicate this to either driver or climber at all times with hand signals. There is a banksman's ticket you can attain, and there are lads on the firm who have this. Radio headsets can be used I suppose although we have never used them...it all boils down to the people on the job, the only times hand signal were used today were when dropping the lifts on the other side of the garage, everyone knew their job and it was easy so went well.

If you look back I posted a thread last year called "700yr old oak" or something like that..I forget which crane it was now, the 60 tonner iirc, very few signals were given that day either and the tree was huge, there were only 3 men on the job including the driver...gives you an idea of how simple it is when everyone is competent. If the crane operator is good enough, it will be the easiest days work you have ever done, if he's a newbie to tree work you could be in for a long hard day...