Strimmer / brushcutter

Guss109

interesting reading gardenkit. will try on the stick going down to to 2,5 see how it runs 425 runs ok no prob but take on board all you have said and makes sense.

recommendations for cutting around grave stones. tried a no and some are better than others oregen yellow line worked very well. but have to give different ones a try and will drop down line size to see what the difference is.

do a lot of pavement clearing so need one that will handle the wear.

doing the cemetery this week will go and get some 2.5 and try will report back on findings

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cemetery clearing, and pavements are a bit different due to the high wear rates. The small diameter will give a good cut on the grass, but wear rapidly when in contact with the stone so it may be best to stick to your bigger stuff.

Be sure to keep it in water though, it will make it last much longer.

An Oregon Jet Head may be worth a try. Because the flexiblade is quite rigid you can get a lot more control and get very close to stone without actually touching it, and if you do touch it you only wear the tip of the flexiblade. With standard cord you tend to wear the side of the cord where it lashes the stone.

On paving, where there is very little 'crop resistance' you can use a larger flexiblade as you will only suffer wind resistance and as long as your machine can cope with that you are OK. The larger flexiblade (4.0mm) resists wear well and can be used to precisely 'grind' weeds from crevices.

And again, store the flexiblade in water.

will go down the local arb place and see if he has a jet head and give it a try. and will keep it in water .

as for wear rate doing pavments it does wear the stuff i have is not to bad but the bump stop heads get a bashing last a month now keep a spare in case it wears out.

We have 45cc and 55cc Husqvarnas with Oregon jet fit heads . They take 4.0mm square line . They have loadsa grunt and mash all kinds with that line . 545RX a 355RX . A good bigun will beat a good lttleun !

i would neaver buy a small strimmer 45 cc minium

That's fine saying that but after doing a good shift on a heavy machine youl feel it that's why I go for a light machine as end up getting more done due to les fatigue. Think I'm going to end up with another 323r11. Barrie how does keeping the nylon in water help?.

Barrie how does keeping the nylon in water help?.

If I were a chemist I may be able to answer (I am going to google it later) but it is a fact, even if a little known one.

I do not know how it works, but it does make a considerable difference.

If I were a chemist I may be able to answer (I am going to google it later) but it is a fact, even if a little known one.

I do not know how it works, but it does make a considerable difference.

Cheers for the reply I will have to find a water tight box to store it in and give it a bash:thumbup1:

Took spuds advice and used google.

Nylon is a hygroscopic material and if the line is stored in dry conditions, e.g. in a shed or a warehouse it can loose its moisture and therefore its flexibility, it can become stiff, brittle and break easily. Storing it for a couple of days in a closed bag with some added water at room temperature or higher will bring the line back closer to the original, more flexible condition and should significantly reduce breakage due to brittleness.