Thoughts on saw running problem

Pastonian

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the oppisite happened to me..

had a 95 quid grinder just over a year and it went bang...

went and bought a cheap champion one .from argos and its mint.. been left out in the rain, had tea spilt on it . chucked in the tool shed. works every time..

prob just lucky????

better being lucky than good i always say:001_smile:

Thanks for some positive input, I had checked the fuel line and filter in the tank and that was nicely on the bottom of the tank and was totally clean, again it seemed to be purely adjusting the low speed adjuster on the carb that seemed to get it running.

Are most in agreement that the initial problem appeared to be fuel starvation?

And yes, whilst I do spend a lot of money on fishing tackle I use that far more than I will ever use a chain saw :001_tongue:

I've also seen some impressive captures on some quite shocking fishing tackle too, cheap does not always mean total crap

Because the cheap stuff is built on a budget it is most likely there will be some swarf or casting edges in the carb somewhere, you may have got them through the system by backing off the L or H jet and putting them back to where they were.

If it does it again make a note of where they are and take them out completely and using an airline gently blow down the holes and put them back in

If you are earning your living from your saw then it makes sence to spend big money on it. But for most home / small works users its just not worth spending big money.

How many of you run round in £200k cars? not many. Why? cos its not the way you make your money so you dont need a race spec car.

I actualy have one of those saws. Been using it now for about 2 years. In that time its been used hard for cutting trees down & doing fire wood. I also use a smaller Mac saw. I prefer the Mac as its lighter, smoother & generaly nicer to use but there are times when size does matter. I have had the Mac for about 4 years, Its about worn out now but I can still get spares so its worth fixing up. It starts It stops & its does what I need. It def would not suit full time day in day out work, but on the days I use it it will be running virtualy all day. The Mac cost me about £120 ins del & I have spent about £30 on non consumable parts (antivibe springs & clutch). The bigger saw cost less than £80 inc del & I have spent about £25 on a new chain break & air filter cover. So the Mac has cost me £37 per year & the big saw £53 so far. Even if they both fail tomorrow they owe me nothing & at those running cost rates it will take a long time before I have spent what one new big name saw would have cost.

Justme

This is more like it... although not quite sure where the fuel tank breather is lol :blushing:

Will wip the covers off and have a look about for it unless of course JustMe can point me in the right direction?

Proof will obviously be giving it a reasonable run which won't be until the weekend again and see what happens, but if there are things I can check out before hand and I can learn a bit more about what to look for etc then all the better - thanks for everything so far everyone :001_cool:

Sounds to me like it is a fuel delivery problem .

Were it not for the fact this thing is new I would guess stiff carb innards and a rekit in order . Back out on the high speed jet a tad and see if that helps .

There is a remote chance the tank vent could be plugged also . It it dies again ,loosen the fuel cap .If it starts back up,that's your problem . It can't suck gas [petrol to some ] if it can't breathe .

altough i agree that cheep stuff is normaly a waste of time. there are some mid grounds such as AMA, Shindaiwa, Makita that are better than realy cheap makes and would be perfect for the occasional user.

dont think it will be the low/idle jet on the carb as it only realy affects the tickover rate this jet is fed in to the carb after the throtle valve. the high/main jet is what feeds the saw at anything above tickover which i gather is when the problem occurs.

altering the idle jet will only put more fuel into the engine overall which may appear to solve the problem but should not be veiwed as a long term solution as it will cause wear on your chain brake and clutch due to the higher tickover rate.

As others have said, you bought 78 quids worth of shite, 180 quid for a 044/440 form a dealer is good, bear in mind though, a sthil or husky will always sell for good money, even knackered ones, so you would of got your money back when you sell it, with the cheap stuff there worth nowt second hand so in reality you have lost 80 quid, and had hassle to go with it, buying the stihl from a dealer would have been more cost affective in the long run and would of got the job done for many years.

Edited by Ian C