Best/Most cost effective strapping system--for securing Billet bundles

difflock

Per Title.

Steel strapping = strong but expensive per m

Polypropelene = cheap, but is it strong enough

Woven Polyester = kinda in the middle

Extruded Polyester = much the same.

The Polypropleyne is MUCH cheaper, so i would probably, at least try, that system first.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK Doak

Iffen I go down the woven Polyester route.

19mm wide at 600kg breaking strain.

2 straps per bundle.

1000 buckles

7 by 600mm of strapping

1 tensioner tool

About £500.00 (del)

And should do 500 No bundles (50m3/yr = 10 years)

So near enough £1.00/bundle

Hmmmm?

There must be some sort of netting or strands of something available dirt cheap. Bale stuff maybe. Use like plastic packing wrap, giving a few wraps to get the tension.

Almost certainly best done stacking the billets vertically of course.

Rotate the package:

pallet_wrap_machine_400.jpg

Or rotate the wrap around the package:

Vertical-Pallet-Wrapper-in-Packaging-Machinery-R1800F-.jpg

Lower tech is to just walk around the package but that gets old fast.

I'm not totally convinced by the billet system btw. Unless you're bundling to load into kilns or something, I can't see the advantage over making chunks which can be scooped in loader buckets or moved on conveyor belts/elevators (where orientation doesn't matter). Sure, you could stack high but realistically does that outweigh the outrageous rehandling?

Please feel free to put me right. I'd be interested to hear what you like about the system.

Edited by AHPP

Is there any way to use the heavy duty baler twine? If only doing 50m3 per year I would have thought keeping it simple might be a good plan. For the knot could you tie a loop in in end and then feed other end through this loop and use a lorry drivers hitch? I can't tie this knot but have watched guys who know what their at and the get things pretty tight.

I thought I had already confessed to being a prefectionist:blushing:

Anyway I had already noted that Posch use what appears to be heavy "baler" twine, or what is effectively light loose spun polypropolene rope.

I will probably resort to 6mm/8mm blue rope. (Which would be a few times reusuable)

With a farmers hitch ("thrown" on with a flick of the wrist) which will allow me to winch the rope drum tight. (Tied down many a high load of baled straw with that one, Oh aar boy!)

After pre-consolidating the bundle.

Hmmmmmm?

Now thinking how I can use the 1 tonne capacity winch on the splitter to tighten up the bundle prior to tying. (Since using the splitter hydraulics would be such an OBVIOUS sensible method)

(An I am tinking I know)

A blinking good job this is only a hobby for me:001_rolleyes:

Far far better than ANY trainset.

cheers all

Marcus

PS

The plastic wrap wont let the bundle breath.

Nor is it practical to rotate the bundle on its end to wrap with silage/straw bale netting.

Which is also surprisingly expensive.

Nowt made from oil is now cheap.

Sigh

Which is why I am burning timber.

1995 28 sec kero 16p a litre

but if money "doubles" every 10 year = 32 p/l = 64p/l (near enough 20 years)

Edited by difflock

I'm not convinced about the billeting system either, but what about using cheap ratchet straps, some thing like this [ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/DOWN-RATCHET-STRAPS-15FT-PACK/dp/B004SH2GE4]TIE DOWN RATCHET STRAPS 1" X 15FT 4 PACK: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike[/ame]

That would cost around £4 per billet, say £200 for your 50 billets, AND totally re-useable!