Suggestions for a carving saw please

Coletti

Hello everyone, I have recently started carving and a really enjoying it so have been looking into getting a carving saw but cannot decide what to get so looking for suggestions as to what to get please. If I get in there quick I could get an ms192c off ebay, what are these like and will it be fit for purpose? Thanks in advance

George

Not tried one but a lot of carvers rate the 192 as a detail saw. Sticking with Stihl, ms200/201, or even the new 150 are great pro saws. the 181 or 211also if on a tighter budget.

Echo are great saws, if I had money to spend I'd get a CS-280WES, only £230 with a 2yr pro warranty/5 yr home user.

I don't work for Echo, but if they want to give me a saw for my blatant plugging that's ok with me:laugh1:

As Si has just said. 192 is a great saw but be careful buying off fleebay. TBH you are really going to need two saws one for blocking out and a detail saw. I use an MS 201 as my detail saw and an MS 231 for most of my other cutting. it really depends on your budget the 201 is a good saw but its bloody expensive. as a starter saw I would highly recommend the MS 181 its a little heavy but it rolls side to side nicely making it good for tip work. I used one when I was teaching people. the ms 150 is a little small to be your main detail saw. the ms211 is good from what I hear.

if you have the funds I would recommend starting with a 181 as your detail saw and either a 231 or a 261 as a roughing saw.

i use a 181 for detailing (new one, the oiler died on my old second-hand one, must replace it and sell it on). great saw and stihl are preferable for small-saws. for bigger saws i prefer a husky. contact Rob D here for bars/chains/sprocket. not cheep but i like the stihl carving-kit. the zebra bars Rob has are fine but no oiler hole... no idea why

i use a 181 for detailing (new one, the oiler died on my old second-hand one, must replace it and sell it on). great saw and stihl are preferable for small-saws. for bigger saws i prefer a husky. contact Rob D here for bars/chains/sprocket. not cheep but i like the stihl carving-kit. the zebra bars Rob has are fine but no oiler hole... no idea why[/QUOTE]

Hi Dave,

that's weird, do you have to drill your own then?

The Oregon sculptor bars are very good, not up to cannon standard but not cheap tat either.

Have been looking at the ms211, same weight as the 181 but a bit more power and I shall certainly be speaking to rob at chainsaw bars when I get a saw sorted, have also considered the small echo rear handle, anyone got any experience with that one? I have the little echo topper and that's spot on hence considering the rear handle