heard the first cuckoo

hedgesparrow

had t laugh at above post I was standing waiting to start work this morning and commented to "townie" workmate how good to hear the nearby cuckoo

you dont know much about the countryside he says-- thats a pigeon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heard one to day . First time for a few years now . I think they are in decline for whatever reason ??

Definitely in decline. As a kid many years ago they were a common sound and sight in the countryside. In my childhood egg-collecting days a cuckoo's egg was the holy grail. Eventually got one from an hedgesparrow's nest in the garden. Many of our migrants are losing ground too. Swifts, swallows, martins. I think many of our older houses are being sanitised with plastic which the martins don't like and gaps are lost the swifts used to use.

Some people won't even allow the martins to nest because they don't like a bit of bird poo on the wall, drive or car!