Oak chainsaw milled in the Trossachs

Big J

An unusual job for me - it's been a long time since I've done a contract chainsaw milling job.

Nice, wind blown oak stem. Had to dismantle it first, and then go from there. Perfect job for the chainsaw mill as there really was no way to extract the log. Ideal trolley to get it out is a carpet trolley by the way (for those of you that do more of this than me). Lay the board in the middle, and with the single axle and the board balanced, it's very easy to push out a 100kg slab.

The weather wasn't kind at all, settling into a solid persistent rain early on in the day. Wasn't cold though, so tolerable.

The customer had specified the size of the tree, and given that it was fairly small, I thought I'd try out the 25 inch bar (giving an 18.5 inch cut). Changed the cutter angles, and was staggered by the smoothness of cut. I've always run fairly long bars, and I'd say the finish is very almost as good as a bandsaw. I'll get a 33 inch bar from Rob D and I reckon that would be perfect for this size of log, avoiding the need to skim material off.

Anyway, here are a few pictures:

The Oak as found on site:

DSCF0345_zps2b8859e5.jpg

Branchwood logged up:

DSCF0348_zpsb0c40a7c.jpg

Stem sectioned:

DSCF0364_zpsfa283772.jpg

Setting the rail:

DSCF0370_zps48ffd5a4.jpg

Nice work Jon - messy looking job and yet it's been bright and sunny down here all week!

:biggrin:

Just that one awful day last Friday. Fine every other day - sods law I suppose. We even hit 20 celcius here today.

Nothing special on the cutter fron Rhob - just 10 degrees or thereabouts. I sharpen little but often, every 4-5 cuts or so on that size of stem. I like the saw to pull itself along.

I think we got about 53 cubic foot cut over the course of the day, which I think is reasonable given that I had to dismantle the tree first.