Spraying for Oak processionary moth

Marko

I can't claim to be an expert in these matters but I think you must have a few rungs missing if B.t is only one rung down from pyrethroids.

What are the alternative options then? It is probably too late but my personal opinion is it is worth a try but get on with it.

I am probably not the best person to ask, I sprayed a much bigger area of mature trees today with chlorpyrifos.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't claim to be an expert in these matters but I think you must have a few rungs missing if B.t is only one rung down from pyrethroids.

What are the alternative options then? It is probably too late but my personal opinion is it is worth a try but get on with it.

I am probably not the best person to ask, I sprayed a much bigger area of mature trees today with chlorpyrifos.

My understanding was (this is from a previous guidance note & a seminar at Kew with Tony Kirkham & London FC Officer) that the FC have identified 3 chemical active agents for controlling OPM.

Deltamethrin (Bandu, Decis, Pearl Micro)

Bacillus thurengiensis BT (DiPel DF)

& Difubenzuron (Dimlin Flo) which is a growth regulator.

This is what I based my 'rung' statement on.

My understanding is that B.t is pretty much a there and then thing. It disappears harmlessly very quickly with no residual effect. (have to admit I am not 100% on that)

Decis I do know about. It is very persistent after application and still has insecticidal properties upto 6 weeks later. For example, after a Decis application you must wait 6 weeks before introducing predatory mites into a fruit crop.

Dimilin isn't so bad IMO. (unless you are a caterpillar) and is quite specific to caterpillars rather than a more general insecticide. It wouldn't kill aphids for example.

I still say B.t is very much lower than one rung than Decis and Dimilin would be quite a bit below Decis on the ladder.

I can't see the necessity for this. If there were several dozen nests found in. 2011 and only three in 2912, surely the existing containment measures are working.

Nests are very difficult to spot......just because numbers were down doesnt neccessarily mean that they were not there. We would regularly find old nests that were missed from previous years.

this is about big players playing big, for big numbers, look at the scramble that went on for the 7 million allocated for Chalara.

they only give a monkies when theres a 00000000 on it.

Like most things, it was imported and is now here to stay, its all in vain when we refuse to deal with it at the border.

thank the WTO for that:thumbdown:

Edited by Tony Croft aka hamadryad