which 2stroke oil do you chaps use?

jnoon

Of course it is, but at least I dont smoke it!

Seriously though you are quite right but then again so is exhaust fumes from your saw, your chipper, tractor, landrover and I believe water contains carcinogens too although nobody wants to admit that.

waste oil can't be good for saw or us, personally I like beg oil as its cheap, enviro friendly, and ok to breathe in

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only ever serviced one saw that had been running old engine oil in the chain oil tank - a right old mess and not sure I want to do it again.

I do notice some bio oils go really gloopy and form a rubbery gunge when mixed with wood chip - it is almost impossible to shift as well.

I stick to the Stihl stuff - works just fine.

Only ever serviced one saw that had been running old engine oil in the chain oil tank - a right old mess and not sure I want to do it again.

I do notice some bio oils go really gloopy and form a rubbery gunge when mixed with wood chip - it is almost impossible to shift as well.

I stick to the Stihl stuff - works just fine.

Do you know which they are, spud? Just about to break into a new 20l barrel of Husky bio oil as part of my "go green" credentials...

stihl HP super the green stuff

good on 4 mix no carbon build up on valves

bought in 5lt but measured out into 100ml pots for the boys to use so no mistakes

Aspen2 has a fully synthetic 2stroke oil but the fuel is much cleaner so even better than using Stihl green HP oil. So your engine will stay much cleaner.

I use exol 2 stroke oil. £4/L at local motor factors. Using it about 8 years. As for chain oil, its used/black oil from the landrover after servicing.

Please don't use old engine oil it will wear out your oil pump and bar.

Why do you change the oil in your engine?

Because it is full of metal fragments and carbon!

Of course it is, but at least I dont smoke it!

Seriously though you are quite right but then again so is exhaust fumes from your saw, your chipper, tractor, landrover and I believe water contains carcinogens too although nobody wants to admit that.

The Benzene in the pump fuel is far more a danger than using old oil. Using old used oil is more of a hazard to your saw. Benzene is a known carcinogen, and petro firms use it to increase the octane of their fuel. By law they can add up to 1% by volume. If you are a smoker, it is all moot - smoking is one of the most efficient means of getting benzene into your body. It's produced when tobacco burns(regardless of additives or not).

H2O, AKA water, isn't carcinogenic. Whatever additives one finds in it may be, though.

I've used safflower oil for the chain without too much problem, but I prefer a nice tacky oil specifically for chainsaw use if I can get it. I'm not too particular otherwise.

I tend to use pump fuel with whatever mix I find laying about, or whatever my employer uses, so long as the saw runs. If the saw dies, I go out and get another or rebuild it and usually port it. I'm not overly concerned about engine wear since I physically wear out most saws before their engines go on me. In a saw's lifetime, the fuel and oil costs will eclipse it's value easily. I try to keep those costs down.

Now off for a smoke.

The Benzene in the pump fuel is far more a danger than using old oil. .

Is there any proof that petrol is more dangerous (cancer wise) than old oil.

I have always understood old engine to be very carcinogenic as it has absorbed some of the carcinogens from the fuel being burnt and thus concentrated them.

Why knowingly expose yourself to both materials?

And, if worried about the Benzene in pump fuel, swap to Aspen which has vitually no Benzene (less than 0.01%).

Look after your health guys, you only have one.

Is there any proof that petrol is more dangerous (cancer wise) than old oil.

I have always understood old engine to be very carcinogenic as it has absorbed some of the carcinogens from the fuel being burnt and thus concentrated them.

Why knowingly expose yourself to both materials?

And, if worried about the Benzene in pump fuel, swap to Aspen which has vitually no Benzene (less than 0.01%).

Look after your health guys, you only have one.

Benzene turns in to all sorts of nasty stuff once you ingest it through your lungs. I do not handle spent engine oil, and I would suspect no one else here does, either. It's simply poured into the oil reservoir. So the likelihood of it being carcinogenic to you is low by comparison. If you are using it for mix - that's a different story altogether ;)