First Stump Grinder - Advice

fen01

I have found with my RG13 that sometimes grinding the stump might take a little longer than with a bigger machine the job gets finished sooner as i dont have to make a return trip to site to grind as the rg will fit on the back of the truck with chip. Its not unusual for us to do a tree, stack all the brash till the tree is down, grind out the stump and return the grinder to the back of the landy then chip up covering the grinder to get it all in in 1 trip, normaly only if a fair way from home.

Do not grind through that membrane stuff as it will destroy your bairings and get a cheep littlle pulling winch (aldi special) to help pull it up the ramps when on your own and a sheety of stock bourd to put down next to the stump to work on as it stops the tires digging holes and makes tidy up easier.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

GG, cheers sounds like good advice. Just waiting now for one to come up. Nothing ever seems to be for sale when I'm buying - i've seen loads in feb and mar...:):)

Sent from my GT-S5690 using Tapatalk 2

You could look at the Rock grinder, cheep and cheerful but a mate has one to do the stuff that his 252 can not get into and says it is far better than the little vermeer that he had, I think there may be a few threds about them.

Ps; never used it myself so dont take my word for it.

That's one of my options. A mate of mine has just got one if their power barrows, looks like a good bit of kit. I expect their prices will start to rise soon.

Cheers, saw that just what i want. Need to save a few more pennies though:rolleyes:

It's a belter mate but I want a bigger machine.

Sent from Hodge's eye phone using the new fancy Arbtalk Mobile App:)

Stating the obvious, but.....

Stumpgrinders, like all equipment, from 3120xps to feller bunchers, are contextually useful or completely useless.

The Carlton 7015 that will be gold for one company will be a lead weight dragging down another.

Your equipment has to match the demand from your clients, size of your transport, nature of job access, size of job, staffing levels, seasonal shift, yard or home storage, legal regulations, BUDGET (note the need for big letters there) range of work, pocket depth of clients etc etc etc

I have a stumpmaster that the alpine magnum design was stolen off, a 13hp dosko (with removable tow hitch so you can to it on its own wheels) and a 20hp self powered walk behind. But if I owned a big tracked grinder I could count on one hand how often it would get used in a year.

The stumpmaster has paid itself off at least 10 times, the dosko pays itself off every couple months, and the 20hp I have only had 6 months and is getting close to paying itself off the first time.

If its your first grinder, I think gray git and trigger are on the money, stick with getting something the size and budget of the rg13 and see how much work you get from there.

If theres lots of demand and you need to upgrade you wont loose any real money and the smaller unit will likely still be very useful, but if you start with a machine that's not able to cover its costs and doesn't fit with work, it could be a noose.

EVERYONES situation is different. But IMHO if your doing stumps get a backpack blower, biggest you can find. makes the whole job go a lot faster. I ran handheld blowers for years. The step from handheld to backpack is close to the step from broom to handheld blower.

We run an HB20 and although it does have it's limitations the number of pure gold jobs I have turned down because it couldn't manage are...NONE!

In all, it does very well for us and it is difficult to justify a bigger better machine costing 2-3 times what we paid for ours.

I am sure we wouldn't win 2-3 times the work from it.

However...

There is such a thing a credibility.

This is to say, when people know you are equipped then you are likely to get more jobs to suit.

I have observed this now run have moved up from a wee CS100 to a Quadchip.