Firewood for new woodburner in Fakenham

David of Fakenham

I think you need a chainsaw,a van ot trailer, the gift of the gab ( this is probably the most important), and a thick skin to go round asking people when ever you see some fallen trees that have being sitting in fields or ditches for yrs or some tree cutting going on & fresh stuff left, be prepared to be told to get lost, but sometimes you can strike lucky, or maybe a deal if free doesn't work.

Also get to know the right people.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you need a chainsaw,a van ot trailer, the gift of the gab ( this is probably the most important), and a thick skin to go round asking people when ever you see some fallen trees that have being sitting in fields or ditches for yrs or some tree cutting going on & fresh stuff left, be prepared to be told to get lost, but sometimes you can strike lucky, or maybe a deal if free doesn't work.

Also get to know the right people.

Your username buddy it made me smile as it a term we use back home lol

I can supply you with as much free firewood as you need:thumbup:

However there is a small compulsory donation of £120 per load, this will go towards the foundation for people with late April fools day syndrome

If we all do our bit one day we may stamp out this awful disease:thumbup:

Firstly, nothing is free but you can be resourceful:thumbup:

The first lump of free wood I got was a fallen oak limb a farmer had dragged out of his field and left on a large grass verge - it had grass and brambles growing through it so was going nowhere.

Got me thinking and found another large oak limb in another ditch - asked at the farm and they said - "fill your boots, you are doing us a favour"......a few beers for the farm Manager later:thumbup:

Had another massive oak bough from the same farmer WITH his permission....followed by a bit from freecycle, family, friends, local ditches - fallen wood NEVER trespassing though!!!

I then got in to the servicing of chainsaws and get a bit of wood there - it's who you know.

So in short - get yourself a chainsaw and be prepared to get to know local land owners and others that you may be able to clear any fallen wood for - don't be too fussy - a lump of connie or poplar still burns:biggrin:

Pinching arbs cut wood off the side of the road is taking the proverbial as is trespassing on others property and taking wood from others land is theft!!

Most Farmers won't mind you clearing their ditches of fallen timber though:thumbup:

It's all graft but a bit of hunting and gathering is good for the soul but keep it legal!

Thanks spudulike

Obviously didn't write my first post very well. I realise that someone needs to grow, cut, split and deliver firewood and they aint going to do that for nothing. Obviously willing to pay the going rate. I do have a chainsaw and have spent time and effort cutting and splitting wood from a friends garden as she wanted to thin out her trees. My post was asking, although not very well it seems, if anyone locally wanted a similar service. Also looking for a local supplier of seasoned firewood if anyone has any recommendations.

Once again thanks for your sound advice.

Thanks spudulike

Obviously didn't write my first post very well. I realise that someone needs to grow, cut, split and deliver firewood and they aint going to do that for nothing. Obviously willing to pay the going rate. I do have a chainsaw and have spent time and effort cutting and splitting wood from a friends garden as she wanted to thin out her trees. My post was asking, although not very well it seems, if anyone locally wanted a similar service. Also looking for a local supplier of seasoned firewood if anyone has any recommendations.

Once again thanks for your sound advice.

Just be careful if your offeringa service to cut/remove thin trees if folks gardens as if things go pear shaped you could end up seriously outta pocket as gardens are tight places with lots of things in the way. they are the domain of the tree surgeons for good reason .....they got the kit.

Not all trees make good firewood and some need more work seasoning than others (esp in this climate) before ya cut etc try and ident what your getting. Mind you something better than nothing.

Best of luck to you I really hope you succeed just be careful

Going against the grain here but we don't have the room to cut and split our arb arisings and we struggle to give the stuff away

We probably give away over 100 tonnes a year sometimes delivering it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you'll have a long line at your place now lol.......better not reveal your location lol