Crownlifting TPO'ed trees

APC

Hi,

An associate has raised concerns that some TPO'ed oaks in the field behind his house are about to be crownlifted by 3m. A hedgerow has been grubbed out already (although not one I believe would come under the Hedgerow Regs). There are no current access points near these trees. I'm thinking that it is 'possibly' to improve tractor access when flailing or something innocent like that. On the other hand, I'm one of lifes pessimists and I have my suspicions the intention is to divide the field up into paddocks.

I have looked on the local councils planning portal and confirmed that the trees form part of a group TPO. I couldn't find any applications regarding these trees. The tree officer has told my associate that he has agreed the works. There are no other planning applications apart from a refused one in 2008 to turn into into a cricket pitch.

My questions are, should there not be a paper trail? If not, are tree officers allowed to agree works without making public the plans? These aren't in my area and I haven't seen them 'in the flesh' but it strikes me as totally the wrong thing to do. It's the wrong time of year and it will be detrimental to their form, not to mention depriving them of their latter-years insurance policy.

The trees in question are those at the back of the photo:

547306_10200789082667725_540650903_n.jpg

Thanks for looking.

I did a reduction yesterday based on a consultants report. The consultant specified such a small amount to be removed that the TO on discussion. Said it was minimal and no need to apply for consent of works.

Really was a pointless exercise but the customer was happy and we got paid.

Is it worth me hassling the TO then do you think, to ask how it has been allowed?

If you're concerned yes. If nothing has been done underhand then he won't have a problem with your querie. In my experience all work to trees in a conservation area or trees covered by TPO have to be applied for via a planning application to the council.

Easiest thing to do is to request the Tpo file in the council office. Every application, officers report etc is in there. Some councils don't seem to put tree work app,s on the net, some do. Some LPAs put tree work to committee and some use delegated officer power to make the decision.

For a crown lift??