The Can't Sleep Thread

Stephen Blair

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've tried every herbal thing going; lavender, celestial sleepytime tea, Clipper sleep plus, dr stuarts sleep tea, various nytols, been prescribed amatryptaline, nothing even touches it. Basically something in my mind says "no - no sleep allowed, must be up, thinking, doing...". If I go to bed early I'm awake by 1am and just cat napping at best for the rest of the night - wake up exhausted. Go to bed later and I lie awake until about 2am then nod off, best I can nap until is 04:30 - 05:00 and then I cannot stay still. My mind has what feels like 8000 things to think about all at once, all competing for my urgent attention solution. If I've listened to or just heard music the day before, those songs then go round and round and round in my head as well as all the things to think about. A vicious cycle ensues where work is less productive and so things get behind so then I'm thinking "if I could just get some sleep and get things done..." but then I get anxious about even going to bed for fear of another restless night. I don't think there's any solution at all tbh.

Going to see the GP tho because I can't function like this. I know full well it's dealing with the symtoms and not the cause but it's beyond the need to routine, gentle, calm etc etc stage.

I've tried every herbal thing going; lavender, celestial sleepytime tea, Clipper sleep plus, dr stuarts sleep tea, various nytols, been prescribed amatryptaline, nothing even touches it. Basically something in my mind says "no - no sleep allowed, must be up, thinking, doing...". If I go to bed early I'm awake by 1am and just cat napping at best for the rest of the night - wake up exhausted. Go to bed later and I lie awake until about 2am then nod off, best I can nap until is 04:30 - 05:00 and then I cannot stay still. My mind has what feels like 8000 things to think about all at once, all competing for my urgent attention solution. If I've listened to or just heard music the day before, those songs then go round and round and round in my head as well as all the things to think about. A vicious cycle ensues where work is less productive and so things get behind so then I'm thinking "if I could just get some sleep and get things done..." but then I get anxious about even going to bed for fear of another restless night. I don't think there's any solution at all tbh.

Going to see the GP tho because I can't function like this. I know full well it's dealing with the symtoms and not the cause but it's beyond the need to routine, gentle, calm etc etc stage.

I go through phases, sometimes I sleep really well, other times I can't get to sleep and other times I wake up in the middle of the night. I've never spotted a pattern but what I find does seem to work is to have the telly on when I try to go to sleep, rather than just trying to go to sleep as that seems to help.

At first kept finding I'd wake up during the night and the telly would still be on but now I seem to know when I'm about to go and switch it off just before. Other thing is to use the sleep function and set it for 20/30 mins and forget about it.

Don't know why, but it seems to help anyway. My problem at the moment though is the getting up in the morning bit, no matter how well I sleep.

My problem at the moment though is the getting up in the morning bit, no matter how well I sleep.

oh how I long for that!!! That cosy struggle to come to - bliss (sorry!). I can't remember that from since my late teens tho.

I can't say I find bed comfortable either; always too hot, get dead arms, pillows annoy me so I chuck them, then go get them back :laugh1:

Had a period of insomnia a while back. Lasted for about over four years but when I got up, (if I bothered to go to bed) I didn't feel sleepy, nor was my concentration impair. Well not that anyone would have recognised as such.

I don't know what broke it. I just got out of the not sleeping habit. But what I found in my ever waking world, was to keep busy. If there was nobody else in the cottage, I'd do the house work. That place was spotless; everything in its place and not a speck of dust to be seen.

I did a lot of reading. Paddled more midnight miles and spent more hours watching nocturnal beasties than I can remember. Walked the near fells with bivvi & sleeping bags and sometimes even climbed if there was a full moon and no cloud. The bivvi bag, etc. was more to keep me warm if I felt like being in one place to enjoy the view. I'd even volunteer for more than my fair share of 'on-call' duties and late patrols.

During the period, when I was doing more paired roped climbing than free climbing. I'd sit indoors in the dark practice knots. If it was a fine night, without a dew. I could make my way to a short crag/quarry/side of the cottage and practice emergency rope-work, knots & anchors.

I sometimes miss having so many useful hours in the day. But it can be nice to be snuggled in bed or bivvi and sleeping bag, knowing that slumber is not distancing itself in the far country.

I gather for some people, eating carbs, (say a sandwich) and a drink of plain cold or warmed milk, can help get thee to that place of endless mature forests & sunlit morning glades. Unless you're live in the PNW, in which case, you're sleep walking and you've now got a long walk home. Before changing, collecting your work gear and gong back to the place whence you came.

Edited by TGB