zig zag failure?

Dilz

No no I'm awaiting for petzl to call them back then ask

It is shredding ropes, fails at extremely low loads if your karabiner becomes mis aligned, bottom attachment is only rated to 15kn.

Not fit for purpose under consumer law surely???

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one will lose their job. It is a brand new product that was only released in Feb. There is always problems with a new product no matter how much R&D is done.

Umm someone should lose their job, not really trying to be argumentative, and maybe that seems a bit dramatic, but this is a company that has built a reputation on high angle PPE. No ?

Someone falling free fall from 5m is more than a 'problem' it is a life ending, and most likely product destroying 'problem'.

It not a design niggle to be worked out in the first coupole of iteration released to the public.... this was a MAJOR design oversite that very well could have led, or will lead to someones death.

Not everyone reads forums, some people just buy things and use them, and when they see the name Petzl, they trust it with their lives.

That is kind of scary, because someone somewhere, is still using the ZigZag, an trusting it implicitly.

I only hope they dont cross load a carabiner the wrong way while at great height.

If someone head doesnt at least 'roll' in the figurative sense, such as taking corrective actions to insure such a mistake never happens again, then they take a pretty lax attitude to releasing PPE equipment with major design issues. For the amount of business Petzl does I dont see it, I think, I hope they take this stuff dead serious, and someone in an office at Petzl HQ is probably pretty pissed. I do not relish the idea of some working stiff losing his livlihood over something like this, but if that is the enviroment you work in, best not too make many mistakes.

They say don't use them anymore but people have sheld out a lot of money for the zz , there response is slow considering what's at risk. What attempts have they made to contact owners of the zz only telling suppliers not really good enough,not every one keeps up to date with current issues . wether its a manufacturing or miss use problem i hope they resolve it quickly as I think it's a great bit of kit.

This should have been found at the testing and development stage.Cross loading is not a freak happening,and should have been tested for.I`m quite amazed that this sort of product from top line manufacturer has been released with dangerous potential.There should have been a considerable safety margin built into its construction anyway.

I think this may well kill off this inovative product as people wont have faith in it.I bought one short time ago, and havent had time to use it yet as this is a sideline.Dont know what to think about it at the moment.