Replacement engines for mini diggers.

Le Sanglier

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My Hitachi ex30 has a 3 cyl Yanmar engine in it and there renown for blowing the head gasket. As a temporary solution drop the engine oil and fill up with fresh oil. Do not fill radiator up with more water. If engine runs normally but gets hot after 10 mins then it sounds like you need a new head gasket. Unfortunately my excavator has had this solution for the past 3 years as I use it on a regular basis but no more than 5 mins at a time. One of these days I will get round to the permanent fix but it looks a difficult job due to access.

My Hitachi ex30 has a 3 cyl Yanmar engine in it and there renown for blowing the head gasket. As a temporary solution drop the engine oil and fill up with fresh oil. Do not fill radiator up with more water. If engine runs normally but gets hot after 10 mins then it sounds like you need a new head gasket. Unfortunately my excavator has had this solution for the past 3 years as I use it on a regular basis but no more than 5 mins at a time. One of these days I will get round to the permanent fix but it looks a difficult job due to access.

Interesting fix John! I think I'll bite the bullet and get it seen to by someone else. It's cost the best part of 500 quid in lost earnings and the blokes money already. It was going to move tonnes of wood with the new thumb grab. Which it was doing very well. Mores the pity!

My bets on headgaskets blown to.

Replacing its not to bad depending on how accessible it is. Don't go down the route of trying to use any of the quick fix "liquids" if its boiling the water that quickly.

Do you know which model engine it is? They are used in so many various things from tractors, boats, generators etc so pays to shop around for spare parts.

Edited by wisecobandit

Why is access becoming an issue....

Just remove the engine and do it on a bench. It's not like your removing a gearbox on a car aswell.

Indeed. Remove the pipes to the hydraulic pump (cleanliness is next to godliness) then undo the four engine mounts, disconnect the rad and out it comes. Give it a good looking over whilst it's out. How many hours has she done?

Engine model could be 3TNV70-STB

Appears your model minidigger suffers from having a small radiator which the fins are prone to clogging up with dust and dirt. Not saying that's the cause but certainly worth checking and keeping an eye on for peace of mind once its sorted out.