maggie thatcher

ging

I recall some of those "wrong things" she did, possibly the wrongest thing she did was to support Pol Pots Khmer Rouge in Cambodia.

However, I can't agree with the logic that giving military assistance to genocidal maniacs is outweighed by her actions crushing the unions.

We'll have to agree to disagree there!

But the khmer Rouge wer ousted in 1978, Thatcher didn't come to power until 79?

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You wrote, You can quote as much liberal press as you like, it's left wing journalism, not factual account.

If you read the article carefully you will see that it directly quotes Tory MPs.

That's not left wing journalism that's fact.

You wrote, While apartheid was clearly despicable to our western eyes, it's what they had at the time.

That's OK then!

:thumbup1:

Didn't see any quotes from Thatcher though, so I'm not sure I see your point...?

Did you see the thread the other day about the copper suing for tripping over?

In the first news report of the day a superior was against the claim.

By the next news report it had been chopped about a bit to imply the complete opposite.

But it was still fact, because he said it.

There's always the truth, but there's always the 'truth' as edited by the press as well. Rarely any unadulterated facts in ANY newspaper..

And ref apartheid, what do you suggest we did instead....? Roll in like we did in Iraq and depose the government? 'Cos that always tuns out well! :001_rolleyes::thumbup::laugh1:

I recall some of those "wrong things" she did, possibly the wrongest thing she did was to support Pol Pots Khmer Rouge in Cambodia.

However, I can't agree with the logic that giving military assistance to genocidal maniacs is outweighed by her actions crushing the unions.

We'll have to agree to disagree there!

Outside my field I'm afraid but reading the article 2 things jumped out.

1. It's from yet another deeply biased left wing publication.

2. Everything seems to have been in place before Thatcher came to power and was principally instigated by the US.

In fact, the only thing I can find in there directly attributable to Thatcher is the headline....?

I agree wholeheartedly that the KR were a nasty bunch, but as citizens we never know the whole picture and things were very different then. We were on the brink of global nuclear war and anything communist was viewed with deep suspicion, so I think looking at the decisions made under those circumstances with post-communist sensibilities it is always going to seem beyond ridiculous that those choices were made.

If you were responsible for the safety of your fellow countrymen, would you support a regime which is one and the same with the country pointing enough nuclear weapons at you to wipe us off the face of the earth, or one which wants civil war in their own country?

On the other side, Chamberlain's policy of appeasement toward Nazi Germany is now so obviously wide of the mark, but at the time it was felt to be the right decision.

It's very easy to criticise, I know, I do it all the time, but it's not so easy to run a country, particularly in unsettled times. :001_smile:

Edited by WorcsWuss

Didn't see any quotes from Thatcher though, so I'm not sure I see your point...?

Did you see the thread the other day about the copper suing for tripping over?

In the first news report of the day a superior was against the claim.

By the next news report it had been chopped about a bit to imply the complete opposite.

But it was still fact, because he said it.

There's always the truth, but there's always the 'truth' as edited by the press as well. Rarely any unadulterated facts in ANY newspaper..

And ref apartheid, what do you suggest we did instead....? Roll in like we did in Iraq and depose the government? 'Cos that always tuns out well! :001_rolleyes::thumbup::laugh1:

Outside my field I'm afraid but reading the article 2 things jumped out.

1. It's from yet another deeply biased left wing publication.

2. Everything seems to have been in place before Thatcher came to power and was principally instigated by the US.

In fact, the only thing I can find in there directly attributable to Thatcher is the headline....?

I agree wholeheartedly that the KR were a nasty bunch, but as citizens we never know the whole picture and things were very different then. We were on the brink of global nuclear war and anything communist was viewed with deep suspicion, so I think looking at the decisions made under those circumstances with post-communist sensibilities it is always going to seem beyond ridiculous that those choices were made.

If you were responsible for the safety of your fellow countrymen, would you support a regime which is one and the same with the country pointing enough nuclear weapons at you to wipe us off the face of the earth, or one which wants civil war in their own country?

On the other side, Chamberlain's policy of appeasement toward Nazi Germany is now so obviously wide of the mark, but at the time it was felt to be the right decision.

It's very easy to criticise, I know, I do it all the time, but it's not so easy to run a country, particularly in unsettled times. :001_smile:

theres lies,damn lies and theres journalism ( mark twain I think?)