throwlines

Arbalot

quite handy if you have a cube aswell. when you get up the tree you just unfold it use it, then put it all back together again nice and neat. personally i've had some pretty bad luck throwing lines around when up the tree. unless you get it in the first two shots, then it ruins your climb. or getting it caught in the branches below you. a last resort for me

I use this technique alot..

I find as mentioned above, if it takes more than a couple of goes to get the next branch you want then it ruins your climb and puts a damper on things.. I end up getting stressed, thinking i'm taking too long, and feeling stupid when people are watching..

I generally use a throwbag on my long strop now, and just go for the next branch you know you can get easily...which might only be the one above your head, but it gets you up there with no hassle.

Failing that, i'll spend time on the ground getting y throwline as high as possible to start with.. it's a case of reading the tree and planning your ascent before you start.

Take a small bag, 8 oz or so, you could make one up out of scavenged bits too. Use a short piece of throwline. It's not easy to throw more than about 15-20 feet vertical. Throwing horizontal is easier. Stash the whole works in a small bag. A rock climbing chalk bag works nicely. It can be sent up when the climber needs it rather than having it on the harness 'just in case.'

Anyone use a throwline to advance up a tree during an ascent as opposed to using them to set up a rope from the ground? Any tips on this technique?

I tend to use the handbag technique once up the tree, works quite well and lot quicker than throw line, but can't lob it as far.

Take a small bag, 8 oz or so, you could make one up out of scavenged bits too. Use a short piece of throwline. It's not easy to throw more than about 15-20 feet vertical. Throwing horizontal is easier. Stash the whole works in a small bag. A rock climbing chalk bag works nicely. It can be sent up when the climber needs it rather than having it on the harness 'just in case.'

Recently we've decided to bite the bullit and place a throw line in a rescue anchor,

which is installed when the climber attains his/her primary anchor.

Having the chalk bag with the line and weight in, sat on the back of the harness during ascent, doesn't seem to be a "drag" (as yet)

This can then be used by the climber to acheive a higher branch whilst going up, if needed

We haven't as yet needed it for this, as Big Shot nearly always gets the prefered anchor from the ground.

But I imagine it will come in very handy. :001_smile:

And ftr Mr Collins, it aint a version of Mr McSheffreys' Man Bag.:sneaky2:

P2190005.jpg.3aa77efe45d154270fc236245cd405f1.jpg

P2190002.jpg.d1a996885877bd4879ceb3bc255ec356.jpg

Edited by Monkey-D

Why not just put a proper access line in for rescue ?

No real reason, other than we're trialing both.

In terms of ease and efficiency to install, the throw lines got the nod first.

Wouldn't take long to attach and pull a rope up over the anchor.

Personally think the former will become easier to get into the habbit of doing every time.

No real reason, other than we're trialing both.

In terms of ease and efficiency to install, the throw lines got the nod first.

Wouldn't take long to attach and pull a rope up over the anchor.

Personally think the former will become easier to get into the habbit of doing every time.

good idea dave, i have a throwline,throwbag all in a climbing pouch under the seat of the mog that has been there for years, i think i will stick it on my harness on monday.thanks:001_smile: