choosing hedgeing

hedgesparrow

i have a customer with a smallish garden who wants to plant a hedge, one for security. 2 when the fence rots they have a hedge. now i plant native hedging mix Hawthorn blackthorn. plus others.

now we have gone for blackthorn against fence as its has nice thorns. also interplanted dog rose for the rose flower. any idears for hedging with colour,flowers or berries. though of spindleberry. will not use maple. or hazel as grows to big hawthorn good but has not much in the way of above any suggestions appreciated

Buckthorn.

Buckthorn is a good one - make sure you get male and female plants.

How much security needed - gorse is a nice yellow, as is the Dunwich rose. If thorns weren't needed, various of the dogwoods give attractive winter colour. I particularly like Cornus sanguinea 'Midwinter Fire'. Some of the Viburnums give excellent autumn colour.

Alec

thanks for input lot of plants to think about and with some and blackthorn who would want to climb fence and land in that lot:crying: be a good sideline planting these types of hedge to stop people getting in to properties even if they tried to cut through be bloodied by the time they did get through have plenty of dna.

The security industry recommends Pyracantha above all else: an absolute horror to encounter and can be hacked about as much as you like. Birds like the berries and they come in red, yellow and orange.

Id go the same. Evergreen with vicious thorns.

Wouldn't go Blackthorn really because it spreads and could become a nuisance.

interesting re blackthorn never encountered a problem with blackthorn spreading

have to say i do like blackthorn i treat it with the respect it deserves as the thorns are nasty and can be painful and sore for a few days if pierced. but makes a nice thick stock proof hedge if looked after and not flailed to death by the tractor but sadly many a hedge has been flailed to death by inexperienced operators of side arms on tractors. and not been able to grow and make a cracking hedge and save the expense of having to use fencing.