Awkward access

old snake

Evening all,had to price a job today to remove some shrubs and grind out 3 or 4 small stumps. The problem is they are in a court yard in the middle of a hospital and the only access is through the hospital! We've got to go through the main reception and then down about 200 metres of corridor. We can close the corridor but obviously not the reception and we cant make any mess wot so ever.

Has anyone done anything like this and if so wot did you use to cover the floor? If not as anyone got any ideas?

Cheers in advance.:001_smile:

Looked at a little pine at an indoor tennis center a few years ago. Would have had to go across 3 courts, up stairs and out through reception, or across a flat roof which they wouldn't have. Priced up the long drag but the trees still there.

I take it a crane wouln't reach? Drop chipper and stump grinder in and lift out and use chipping on site. Half a day crane hire may only be £200-£250. May be preferable to bringing dirt into a hospital.

I would have thought most hospitals would have some kind of low slung trolley you could load the grinder onto and then transport it through the hospital on the trolley?

I know one of thebig hospitals down near my mothers have quite large machinery going about the corridors, like small electric train type things..

I did consider the crane option but it would have to be a huge crane just for the outreach to be able to get over the roof. Would of been ideal though. Thouht about asking the hospital if we could borrow one of those electric buggie things like highland mentions. Put all the mess into ton bags and drive it out the front door? Then just track the stump grinder through on some kind of ply and sheet combo? Have never done anything like this before and am just a bit unsure wot you can and cant do.

If you know anyone with an Alpine Magnum, they could walk down the corridor with the grinder tucked under one arm. No sheets, no mess.

As for the arisings, get a load of those yellow bin bags, and chuck the whole lot in for incineration!

No worries:001_smile:

Tbh I have never used one but from what I hear they are very good.

Only thing I would check though is to see if they are self propelled (I dont think they are) because if so you would soon fill the hospital up with fumes :blushing:

I have thought about using one for the next decent sized job we get where it has to all come out through the house. I always try to overprice those but still end up getting them:confused1:

i have done a few jobs like that, on one the house was immaculate and we spent a lot of time protecting the interior with plastic and cardboard. Otherwise if the floors are hard I'd suggest building the brash up and then taking it through as quickly as possible then clearing up streight away. I usually wrap the brash in small bundles in a little tarp and use 2 men to carry each load. We've gone through a colledge, a hostel and offices this way as well as a few private houses. Its when there are internal stairs that it becomes tricky.:001_smile:

My old boss used to use a little entec which discharged the chip to the side. It was a PITA to use but it would fit anywhere a hospital stretcher would go and you could bring the chip out in a barrow.

Evening all,had to price a job today to remove some shrubs and grind out 3 or 4 small stumps. The problem is they are in a court yard in the middle of a hospital and the only access is through the hospital! We've got to go through the main reception and then down about 200 metres of corridor. We can close the corridor but obviously not the reception and we cant make any mess wot so ever.

Has anyone done anything like this and if so wot did you use to cover the floor? If not as anyone got any ideas?

Cheers in advance.:001_smile:

How about... shrubs in clean dumpy bags, carried out whole

Grinder onto a pallet, wheeled down said corridors on a pallet trolley?

I take it that 'Morton, centre of...' is Gloucs?