dodgy!

martin p

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All depense on the council i guess. To many times a tpo tree our way has been downed and they've been caught out but the local authority hasn't followed it up. Ive found car dealerships the worse offenders.

Sent using fones4hobbits

I don't see why you would enquire about TPOs without an instruction from the client - without any kind of instruction you are both wasting your own time and, in my opinion, over-stepping the relationship with the potential client.

I wish more LPAs would make TPO and CA information available online but sadly many tree officers do not want this as it would give them less time to react to threats of felling which are highlighted by 'enquiries'.

IMO the way some tree officer's use this system is rubbish - I believe that TPOs should be served on notable trees regardless of a threat but the guidance refers to 'expedience' so it won't happen any time soon. Important trees are part of an areas character and heritage - much like listed buildings and monuments...but these aren't only protected when under threat are they?

I don't see why you would enquire about TPOs without an instruction from the client - without any kind of instruction you are both wasting your own time and, in my opinion, over-stepping the relationship with the potential client.

I wish more LPAs would make TPO and CA information available online but sadly many tree officers do not want this as it would give them less time to react to threats of felling which are highlighted by 'enquiries'.

IMO the way some tree officer's use this system is rubbish - I believe that TPOs should be served on notable trees regardless of a threat but the guidance refers to 'expedience' so it won't happen any time soon. Important trees are part of an areas character and heritage - much like listed buildings and monuments...but these aren't only protected when under threat are they?

Most clients wouldn't know about tpo's or conservation areas. It only take a quick phone call, most TO's I've spoken to are very helpful. If there is such orders on proposed trees it doesn't take a lot of time to fill out the paper work and its another service you could provide.

Again this could also depend on which area your working in. In my surrounding area there a 4 conservation areas that i know of and I've managed to gain a map sent from a county TO to help.

Sent using fones4hobbits

I would argue that it was in the best interest of the client to check for a TPO if I found myself in that position (preventing them from breaking the law).

It is best to get into the habit of asking the TO if there are any TPO's in a general area, especially if they have been known to make one if there isn't already after an enquiry.

I take your points, but would still say that checking for statutory protection on trees you are not instructed to work on is wasting your time!

Isn't it better to make it very clear on your initial quotation that you will check for protection upon receipt of a written instruction to commence with the job?

Most clients wouldn't know about tpo's or conservation areas. It only take a quick phone call, most TO's I've spoken to are very helpful. If there is such orders on proposed trees it doesn't take a lot of time to fill out the paper work and its another service you could provide.

Again this could also depend on which area your working in. In my surrounding area there a 4 conservation areas that i know of and I've managed to gain a map sent from a county TO to help.

Sent using fones4hobbits

With respect, that's not much of an achievement, it's a public document as are TPO,s

You can walk into planning and copy them to your hearts content (for a small fee)

When i quote work, ill always say to the client that if they accept it. I will be checking for tpo and C.A before i start the work. If there is something to be found i will fill out said paperwork and a separate price for this service.

I wouldn't do any work til I've checked even if they ask etc etc. if they don't like it, its no skin off my nose and ill walk away

Sent using fones4hobbits

With respect, that's not much of an achievement, it's a public document as are TPO,s

You can walk into planning and copy them to your hearts content (for a small fee)

You crack and and pay as i had mine for free. 😜 But what i was getting at , is how my local TO has helped and saved some time for me

Sent using fones4hobbits