log sizes

batista230

When you buy your timber standing - usually by volume, you cut as much as you can to get the most out of the parcel. I go down to 2.5-3" roughly, unless it's really bent, and cocks up the stacking and extraction. We have always done this, and although you do get a significant number of small singles in the finished product load, I would be confident to say that it never exceeds 15%.

I appreciate if you are paying top dollar for cordwood delivered in, you will not want to be getting too much small stuff on the load.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you buy your timber standing - usually by volume, you cut as much as you can to get the most out of the parcel. I go down to 2.5-3" roughly, unless it's really bent, and cocks up the stacking and extraction. We have always done this, and although you do get a significant number of small singles in the finished product load, I would be confident to say that it never exceeds 15%.

I appreciate if you are paying top dollar for cordwood delivered in, you will not want to be getting too much small stuff on the load.

I can remember a 17 tonne load of beech about 18 months ago not bought from anyone on here. It was 40% 2in sticks 40% stuff over 18" 20% of stuff that went through our processor. It was about that time I thought stuff it and started to wind it down and not budget for new processors and large kit.

How fast is your branch logger? I want to see if it's faster than out truncator for making bags. Is yours a welmac one? they look pretty good.

Also are they expensive?

The limiting factor is me. The branch logger does not mess around and I only run the tractor at just over tickover. Ideally you need at least two people and it would probably keep three busy. The changing of the bags it's quite a large part of the time. In my view you can't compare a branch logger with a truncator. From what I can make out from your video the truncator is a sawhorse designed for logging wood from 3" - 5" the branch logger is designed to process material from 2 1/2 " down to nothing. Yes it is the version that Welmac supply. I have the smaller of two models.

In my view the branch logger is rather undersold. In the online video they show nice strait sticks that appear to have been left to rot for a season being fed at gentle rate into the machine. The reality for me is piling in gnarly hedgerow beech branches that have been down half an hour and it spits them into the nets like shelling peas. I don't yet know if I can sell these nets for a reasonable sum but it feels good to turn what would have been completely wasted into a usable fuel. If nobody buys them I shall just burn them myself leaving me with more logs to sell.

I tend to log up as much as possible. Takes a while but it's depressing when you feel the heat off a brash fire and think that could have gone to heat your house. It's just time and money I guess. Will have a look at the branch logger.

• 3 weeks later...

We cut everything it's all firewood. I understand the need for quality assurance but I also think customers are happier if they know its all used instead of burned or chipped.

There has to be a market for smaller bits in the same way supermarkets are selling odd fruit and veg

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I don't really bother with anything under about 3"-4". Doesn't seem efficient & people seem to want there loads to consist of nothing but the perfect nicely split log. But if I thought I could sell them in net bags I'd have one of those branch loggers in an instant. Makes it look quick & easy.

We cut everything it's all firewood. I understand the need for quality assurance but I also think customers are happier if they know its all used instead of burned or chipped.

There has to be a market for smaller bits in the same way supermarkets are selling odd fruit and veg

I 100% agree with ya there bent bits etc burn just the same.

Every year back stateside we cut and donate 4 cords to a local charity to give to folks that are less well off and in need like the old folks. It not much but they are more than delighted if there is top wood in there

some folks are kinda snobs as far as firewood goes (not folks on here) I blame the internet lol folks read to much lol:001_tt2: