Spalted Holly with worm

Big Beech

Guys,

Came across a dead standing Holly tree at the base around 18" diameter, but decided to cut it in to 3 sections. 1 x 4ft 2 x 3ft. it showed significant signs of wood worm.

so i dragged the smaller section out today, milled it and as expected worm was throughout. but, does the holes detract from the wood? would you use or discard the pieces? i have two good sections with splating and minimal worm in it.

the whole tree has the worm but we dont get many large hollies around here i can cut!

what you reckon, keep or logs,

5976641a17567_20130329_134454copy.jpg.af0938a61490d2a66c51b2377da74ce2.jpg

5976641a15cc7_20130329_134513copy.jpg.ee63047a9cdde27ad0a00b16d04e2712.jpg

5976641a1276b_20130329_141021copy.jpg.6e8f163f6bbce6479709baf3a5438273.jpg

Looks good if you can preserve the looks. As an aside do you mill healthy holly? I know a few turners like it but not many because it's difficult to dry without splitting.

I ask as I felled a 16"dbh specimen in West Sussex last week (yes, I know: I'd rather not have done but the owner was adamant that it was in the way) and have left it in lengths to maximise potential use.

Thanks,

Jon

Looks good if you can preserve the looks. As an aside do you mill healthy holly? I know a few turners like it but not many because it's difficult to dry without splitting.

I ask as I felled a 16"dbh specimen in West Sussex last week (yes, I know: I'd rather not have done but the owner was adamant that it was in the way) and have left it in lengths to maximise potential use.

Thanks,

Jon

What are you doing coming from East Surrey and felling holly on my patch :sneaky2::biggrin::lol:

Thanks,

Jon

where abouts Jon?

Thanks,

Jon

You'll need to leave it to rot for years to become as interesting as the one in this thread...4 or 5 years my guess otherwise its just p.l.a.i.n!