TrioBrake

G Goss

I have slipped while putting the horizontal cut for a gob into a dead elm on a banking, my feet gave under me on wild garlic, it happened so quick and I ended up sliding backwards down a hill and stopped with the 25" bar sat across my neck and my right hand giving it full throttle.

Luckily I hit the chain break naturally as I have always been very strict about it with myself and workers.

The banking was nothing I would of roped off of, i dug my heels well in before hand, it was just 1 of those 1 off whoopsies that could of ended very badly!!!!!

just that quote should be a lesson to many who think that using a chain brake after almost every cut is for wusses or not always necessary ! Once you start it becomes second nature and you forget your doing it.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have slipped while putting the horizontal cut for a gob into a dead elm on a banking, my feet gave under me on wild garlic, it happened so quick and I ended up sliding backwards down a hill and stopped with the 25" bar sat across my neck and my right hand giving it full throttle.

Luckily I hit the chain break naturally as I have always been very strict about it with myself and workers.

The banking was nothing I would of roped off of, i dug my heels well in before hand, it was just 1 of those 1 off whoopsies that could of ended very badly!!!!!

That sounds like a bloody close call! Glad to hear that you came out unscathed.

In the event of me slipping, the chain brake goes on reasonably instinctively. However for normal operation it does slow you down clicking it on and off constantly. It you're carrying the saw by the front handle, it's not possible to engage the throttle anyway.

Jonathan

What it is is some lad with an engineering degree has been tasked with developing and designing something extra in the safety department .Thing ios he has probably never used a saw to earn his living . Best intentions and all that ......

Reckon that's exactly the case :thumbup1:

I got a hold of a 345 (I think) with one that another guy was using and my first impressions weren't great. He reckoned it didn't get in the way but I think it will, maybe not for someone using it occaisonally for buzzing up a few logs, but for day to day use out in the woods I think it would do your head in.

On the whole snedding thing, we were taught that as long as the bar is on the right hand side of the tree then you didn't need to put the brake on when you took a forward step. If you needed to reach and move brash then you sat the saw back a bit and rested it on the front of the engine holding it by the back handle and reached across with your left hand. Probably all changed now though.

Other than dismantling a big hardwood crown when it's on the floor, I can't really see an occasion where you'd need to put the chainbrake on while snedding.

Edited by Chris Sheppard

Reckon that's exactly the case :thumbup1:

I got a hold of a 345 (I think) with one that another guy was using and my first impressions weren't great. He reckoned it didn't get in the way but I think it will, maybe not for someone using it occaisonally for buzzing up a few logs, but for day to day use out in the woods I think it would do your head in.

On the whole snedding thing, we were taught that as long as the bar is on the right hand side of the tree then you didn't need to put the brake on when you took a forward step. If you needed to reach and move brash then you sat the saw back a bit and rested it on the front of the engine holding it by the back handle and reached across with your left hand. Probably all changed now though.

Other than dismantling a big hardwood crown when it's on the floor, I can't really see an occasion where you'd need to put the chainbrake on while snedding.

Same .