Logmaster LM1 manual bandsawmill

Big J

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

big J, running with the stihl pmx chains Im only getting a 6.5 mill kerf, and like you cutting some real nice pippy oak today, with no deflection on the knots, and the wood will finish with a sanding, not even require a pass through the planner, chain preperation is the key!, Im still looking at bandmills, but till someone comes up with one running at least a 3" wide band, I'll still be concerned about blade deflection over imperfections in the structure of the timber, ive seen to many ripples caused by seemingly nothing, an 1/8 to be planned off each face kind of defeats the 2mm kerf a little bit, does it not. Yes the chainmill is slower, but its portability is its big advantage for me, I can get it into places I could never get a bandmill into and get some stunning timber that would normally end up as firewood. I'm waiting with interest to see your new mill in action and would love to come through and see it for real

No apology required! I love a good discussion!

I completely agree that there are advantages to each method of milling. Chainsawmilling can produce from beautiful (and very flat) boards - the pippy yew that I milled yesterday had almost no saw marks on the sawn surface, and as you say, would have only required a sand to finish it.

I would be keen to see a commercial chainsaw mill built. Something with a reasonable amount of horsepower capable of milling some very wide butts. One of my issues with longer bars (anything over about 50 inches really) is that it is very hard to stop the bar sagging and deflecting. There needs to be a bar tensioning system to hold it straight, something that the Alaskan Mill is unable to do.

The LM2 is going to be running a 2 inch band, and I think that it should alleviate many of the deflection issues that can occur. Most issues arise from imperfect blade alignment, but it is certainly accentuated with a narrow band.

Finally, it is the sawdust that is the main issue. I run a very narrow keft sawmill and I still have mountains of the stuff at the yard!

• 2 weeks later...

ONE TIME OFFER:

With one confirmed order now (Marcus/Difflock for an LM15), I need to fill the rest of the container and will sell the remainder of the LM1s at cost, which is about £4100 plus VAT and delivery. There will be space for approximately 3 of these and this offer cannot be repeated.

I would like to get these mills out onto the market, and strongly believe that they will sell themselves. The only stipulation that I would make is that if you want to take me up on this offer that you occasionally show someone around the mill if there is someone in your area that is interested.

Here is a link to the homepage of Logmaster and the LM1:

LM1 Personal Sawmill | Log Master Portable Saw Mill Inc

Jonathan

Come on, there must be someone! How often do you get the opportunity to get something like this at cost?!

I've read/skimmed 139 different threads on the American Forestry Forum with mention of Logmaster in it, and there isn't a bad word to be said about them. Solid mills, good value and excellent after sales support. Be adventurous!

We've got space for 2/3 LM1 ground models or a LM1 trailer model.