Slough And Power

leedeerman

Maybe one of their suppliers couldn't supply cheap chip anymore, since harvesting firms were getting consistently ripped off by them :sneaky2:

I'd bet it was because the scheme it was established under had run its time and the subsidy was finished. I'm told it will stay running but with a gate fee but that doesn't tie in with the press release.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went on a visit to one of their hubs a year or so ago, and their operation is a bit different from the likes of Stobart.

LC buy timber and chip it to their spec and don't take in "waste" chip. I guess this may change, but the operation that I saw was based on higher grade chip to G35 and G50 spec.

Theres a big difference between the sort of biomass the big power stations can take and the smaller installations. Chip for the smaller plants is produced through chipping dry round wood to order, a higher value product.

Theres is a huge hole to fill if even 10% of the proposed plants come online, there will not be enough chip in the UK. Security and frequency of supply is sourced from overseas supply. Not right, but there you go.

Where does our coal come from?

Theres a big difference between the sort of biomass the big power stations can take and the smaller installations. Chip for the smaller plants is produced through chipping dry round wood to order, a higher value product.

Theres is a huge hole to fill if even 10% of the proposed plants come online, there will not be enough chip in the UK. Security and frequency of supply is sourced from overseas supply. Not right, but there you go.

Where does our coal come from?

Britain produces around 16 million tonnes of coal per annum. Electricity generation uses around 55 million tonnes per annum so the majority is imported and I think Russia is the main supplier.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App