Kew gardens

sloth

Hi all, got a ticket for Kew gardens and have never been before, I am going to wait till April to go as its open an extra hour :D

Anyway, would anyone like to suggest 'must see bits' and 'don't bother bits' as I don't think I'll see it all in a day!

Cheers in advance...

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are others who know it far better than I do and can suggest specific things to see, but I used to go quite often with my parents as a child (and have been back since, although probably not for 10yrs). My overriding memory isn't so much of specific things, but of a meandering walk from glasshouse to glasshouse, taking in the things in between. I really enjoy the contrast of the atmosphere in the various glasshouses, particularly the oppressive tropical heat and humidity upstairs, with the outside temperature.

If you're going by train, it's worth figuring out in advance where the side gate is, rather than the main gate, as it's a bit closer and normally had less of a queue (assuming it's still there even!)

Alec

Is that one the original trees (old lions?)? Did you still need any photos for your ident app/site thingy? Be happy to help out if you give me a list, no guarantee Ill get them all though!

Not sure, but it's pretty old.

Yeh, you'd be doing me a favour if you could get any shots of deciduous species still with no leaves on. I'm particularly after winter buds of any of the more obscure species :biggrin:

Second the old Pagoda tree. A more gnarled and wending tree you will not see. Think tree, but sideways :biggrin: There's a nice Robinia banded in iron too. Plenty to see and do - there's usually some exhibitions of botanical drawings and art around the periphery of the gardens. Have fun!

Cheers for the tip Alec, I will hop on the train :thumbup:

Any in particular you want Rob, and any certain 'rules' for shots? I do remember you started a thread with particulars. Just close ups, scale in shot, tree form, image quality/size?

Whats the cost to get in or is it free?Im in London in 2 weeks so was going to have a wee wander around.

I think it was around £14 when I went last summer. Don't let that put you off though, it's an amazing place, well worth the fee.

Silky fox is the man to ask about what to see, he lives nearby:)