Forestry Thinning Method Ideas

hiluxstihl

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd look into creating one large extraction rack at the top and winch upto it using a petrol capstan winch. Herringbone the trees in the racks for easier choking. Then use a machine for final extraction though at 15yo I can't see a value in it so I'd get a tracked chipper and leave it on site.....

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I'd look into creating one large extraction rack at the top and winch upto it using a petrol capstan winch. Herringbone the trees in the racks for easier choking.

Back before processors were in UK the FC had lots of research in motor manual felling and extraction. One tree length method was using a Radiotir, a 10hp 2t motor driving an interesting dual capstan winch. It was all fitted in a sled and the winchman would get it into the wood under its own steam to the head of the rack. He did this by walking the wire rope out but the machine was ingenious, when it was ticking over it engaged reverse gear, as soon as there was a pull on the rope it touched the capstans and was paid out, no pull and it sprung away and stopped. So the machine pulled its way in and was anchored to a tree at the head of the rack. the winchman pulled the wire to a tree in the rack or one of the offsets with a pulley, To winch in the radio control simply revved the engine and this disengaged reverse, engaged forward and put a little tension on the cable stowage drum.

It all looked quite nice to my young eyes but there was a problem with bandwidth and the telegraphy act before things like CB were allowed. FC had 2 and they were sold at auction and I heard no more about them.

Of course within a few years small scale small thinning became uneconomic by hand in any case.

I'd look into creating one large extraction rack at the top and winch upto it using a petrol capstan winch. Herringbone the trees in the racks for easier choking. Then use a machine for final extraction though at 15yo I can't see a value in it so I'd get a tracked chipper and leave it on site.....

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Surely it would have value as firewood rather than just wasting it??