Change of career.

chipper080

Hi all i have been thinking about changing my career as only one person has given me any work so far i know the work is there but without a car licence no one want's to give me the work.

I was thinking about doing pest control (rats rabbits and feral pigeons) with air rifle and thought i would see if i can get more work with this as not much chainsaw work coming my way even with my experience.

This is just a thought and an inquiry to see what's out there on the pest control side of things.

If there is any work shooting rats rabbits or feral pigeons with air rifle as it seems that to use a chainsaw i need a car licence as well as my chainsaw tickets to get any work.

It seems that if you can't drive a car no one want to employ you in my opinion you do not need a car licence to operate a chainsaw and i know that it helps but need the work to get the money to take the test (no work no test) it is a catch 22 for me and it is looking like there is no way out.

So i shall see what comes of this as can only try and see what is out there.

Thank you

mike

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I`ve a mate who does pest control.The monies in moles,rats/mice,insects.Theres a shedload of people prepared to turn up for free and shoot pigeons.I do it quite happily,same with rabbits.

Rats/mice are normally baited, although you can shoot a considerable amount of rats in barns if you have nv on top of a decent air rifle.

In short, if you are looking at pest control,the earnings are in the mundane stuff that nobody wants to do unless they are getting paid.All the fun with guns type stuff, folk will do for free.

I know there are lots of people out there that do it for free there are lots that get pay'd it might not be big money but it's money.

And as for the ones that do it for free they probably have another job that pays i have not this is just a option i have.

thanks

Hi Mike

I dont think there will be much call for payed rabbit/ pigeon / rat control

as i and other airguners do this as a sport free of charge to farmer&land owners.

Maybe you should be looking at full/part time employed by someone for

a few months & save save save your money the best you can .

Dont give up mate , times are hard for us all at the moment , keep your

chin up mate ATB Roy

Hi Mike

as i and other airguners do this as a sport free of charge to farmer&land owners.

chin up mate ATB Roy

My opinion too.

The people that pay for shooting are councils and similar, but theres a lot of netting and installing spikes on ledges etc as well.Its mostly feral pigeons in town on buildings.Shooting jobs take place at night when theres nobody about.

My mate recons he gets a lot of his money from moles.

Good luck with it though.

Hi Mike

chin up mate ATB Roy

Thank's but the giving up part is getting close as i feel that without a car licence no one want's to employ me so am at the junction of give up or hold on but with no money coming in it is hard to keep my chin that's why when i advertised for work i asked for accommodation as would help keep overheads down and i might be able to save some money but nothing there nether.

thanks

Thank's but the giving up part is getting close as i feel that without a car licence no one want's to employ me so am at the junction of give up or hold on but with no money coming in it is hard to keep my chin that's why when i advertised for work i asked for accommodation as would help keep overheads down and i might be able to save some money but nothing there nether.

thanks

This may sound a little harsh, but I feel it needs saying.

Stop moaning!

You're in Chagford? Walk down the road to "proper job" and get yourself a bike. Bang, wallop, 30 mile range with very little financial outlay.

Nearest train station is less than ten miles away!

You live in a town with one of the country's vet best second hand shops. I bet if you explain to them why you need a bike, they'll let you pay for it when you've earned some money with it.

Edited by Daniël Bos

Mike, stop dwelling on the lack of transport.

If you're convinced this is the main problem you have, take out a personal loan for £5k over 3 or 5 years and do an intensive driving course, your test and buy and insure an old Corsa van or something.

If you live in the middle of nowhere and don't find work on a chainsaw without transport, how much luck do you really think you'll have doing something else.

Stick with it mate, you are starting to make progress now :thumbup1: