Very Cheap Hand Winch advice

Gnome

I wouldnt even bother with it tbh. This is what i bought several years ago pulled many big trees over with it. Pulled my truck out of a field sunk upto the axles. Pulled stumps out with it. Never not worked solidly built has safety pin in the handle and for what it costs is best value for money you will get. There not heavy like tirfors either. You get 20meters of cable.

http://bit.ly/Yg6kmL

Heres a job i used it on winched over a couple of oaks.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the advice chaps. I've had a look at the alternatives. I understand about pulling rolling stock v dead weight. The length of cable is concerning me too. Don't think i'll push it to it's limits but i'm going to get one to try it out. Even if it helps for pulling my ride-on out in those emergency stuck in the mud situations may be useful. Will update on the verdict/results.:thumbup1:

I wouldnt even bother with it tbh. This is what i bought several years ago pulled many big trees over with it. Pulled my truck out of a field sunk upto the axles. Pulled stumps out with it. Never not worked solidly built has safety pin in the handle and for what it costs is best value for money you will get. There not heavy like tirfors either. You get 20meters of cable.

http://bit.ly/Yg6kmL

This is what I use too. Great alternative to the expensive Tirfors. It is a heavy carry in to the wood, but worth its weight once you've got it there.

there a bit slow and the cable legnth is annoyingly short and thus time comsuming to do a long pull, but cheap and can be usefull too.

i think misterhben put up a thread regarding an american one that had a lot longer rope on itand was still cheap.

carl

All depends what you think you'll be doing most with it. Tirfors are great for big pulls but are slow and heavy and a faff to set up, in my opinion.

The lightweight ones in the first post are ok for pulling down hangers when thinning, saves carting round something fairly heavy. If you want a good quality version of the pressed steel ones, look for a lugall. They're expensive but really well made.

Great stuff chaps. The low cost of the winch will enable me to get a decent chocker chain and round sling. If i'm having problems with the winch I can then always upgrade as required.

As stated quite light work and very occasional.

Anything is better than the magic blue nylon rope!!!

Hi Gnome

If you need a hand winch, don't waste time and money, buy a tirfor! You'l have it for years and it will do everything you want to do if you look after it

I understand what you are saying as I love using good gear. Stihl/ Husky saws,brushcutters,blowers, Hayter lawnmowers and Kubota Ride on,Bulldog hand tools and silkys. I really can't justify spending that kind of money on something I will rarely use at the moment.

If I am getting more tickets done this year then I would be expecting the work to pay for such kit as I would be qualified to use them for tree work on the estate. Wouldn't dream of using a tirfor on hang ups, large stumps without some sort of instruction and certificate of competance.

As I am not self employed, time is not really as critical to me. I can always make time for such activities during my working day. the critical thing for me is moving the timber in a controlled manner and taking the strain off my back.

its all relative, its not as good as a tirfor thats right but a tirfor is not as good as a 10 ton double drum igland and on and on...... its fine if you use it within its capabilities and they are about £20, get one an keep it in the van with a couple of slings and a length of old rope :thumbup1: