apprentices

likeitorlumpit

Today I received a load of stuff from KCC along with their business rate demand. KCC are helping fund an apprentice and it applies to tree work/ horticulture. Has anyone taken up a similar offer and how did you find it. I ask because in the past I have found these schemes more trouble than they are worth.

Have taken on apprentice, cost very little to set up. Speak to local colleges if your interested they have many apprentices looking for placements or if you have an employee that is looking for training then go for it. For me £250 for course l2 with £1500 return in 13weeks (which will be used for CS) £2.60ph for first year and 10% off other college courses. In my mind it makes perfect financial sense with the outcome that you have an employee moulded in your image. FYI if your looking for cheap labour then this isn't for you but if your looking to a guy that you can afford to pay and pay an other to train him in the hope in a few years time he will be the new model of your company then this is the way forward, treat them well, look after them, be firm but fair and your business will grow. Sam

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

One thing I have done with great success on training contracts is to take someone on for a few months trial period before starting them on the training course. I then know that they are suitable, and it's likely to work throughout the training period without wasting my time in setting it up.

You can also quite reasonably set up a training agreement with a clause that says you will take them through the training and in exchange they agree to stay for a fixed period beyond the end of the training, or pay a fixed sum back which reflects the hours you spend setting it up and any out of pocket costs you have incurred. For some of the courses I send people on which have costs of about £10k over 4yrs the agreement is to stay for 2yrs beyond the end of the course or pay back the £10k (if you terminate their employment they obviously don't have to pay back anything).

I've found the above to be effective in making sure they're suitable, serious about it and that the arrangement is mutually beneficial.

Alec

p.s. I have had to enforce the pay-back clause once, and it proved legally enforceable.

Done properly an apprenticeship is excellent for all parties.

Lots of people bemoaned the 80's scheme after the young lads who came on cheap and were put through college soon buggered off afterwards.

But it's a 2 way street, employers need to offer opportunities after the apprenticeship as well. It's no wonder young lads moved on when they were treated as the apprentice forever.

If you're a small company with no plans or infrastructure to grow, perhaps an apprentice isn't right for you. But if it forms part of a long term plan for growth, where the apprentice can enjoy career progression into the future then I believe apprenticeships are a great idea.

I would like to take one on myself when our company is ready....:thumbup1:

One thing I have done with great success on training contracts is to take someone on for a few months trial period before starting them on the training course. I then know that they are suitable, and it's likely to work throughout the training period without wasting my time in setting it up.

You can also quite reasonably set up a training agreement with a clause that says you will take them through the training and in exchange they agree to stay for a fixed period beyond the end of the training, or pay a fixed sum back which reflects the hours you spend setting it up and any out of pocket costs you have incurred. For some of the courses I send people on which have costs of about £10k over 4yrs the agreement is to stay for 2yrs beyond the end of the course or pay back the £10k (if you terminate their employment they obviously don't have to pay back anything).

I've found the above to be effective in making sure they're suitable, serious about it and that the arrangement is mutually beneficial.

Alec

p.s. I have had to enforce the pay-back clause once, and it proved legally enforceable.

One thing I didn't mention, you do need to look after investment and contract clauses may be a worth while investment with solicitor. If you spend time and effort with employee you don't want the ditching you for a job in Aus when they have their tickets. Best thing I did was give a short (out of hours) crash course in what is expected in next few years. It is no good looking for a climber, paying for tickets and find they don't like heights. Sam

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Done properly an apprenticeship is excellent for all parties.

Lots of people bemoaned the 80's scheme after the young lads who came on cheap and were put through college soon buggered off afterwards.

But it's a 2 way street, employers need to offer opportunities after the apprenticeship as well. It's no wonder young lads moved on when they were treated as the apprentice forever.

If you're a small company with no plans or infrastructure to grow, perhaps an apprentice isn't right for you. But if it forms part of a long term plan for growth, where the apprentice can enjoy career progression into the future then I believe apprenticeships are a great idea.

I would like to take one on myself when our company is ready....:thumbup1:

I agree! An apprentice isn't right for me at the moment, but when I have reached that point when I'm up and running with a reasonably full order book I'll be stable enough to offer one. There are plenty of providers, and depending on the age or background of the lad possibly extra funding for their tickets(ex forces, ex offender, under 19 etc).

I see the benefit that it gives you someone that you can trust, and will be relatively loyal if they are treated well, after all you will have supported them through their training, mentored them etc, and if you ever get to the point where you are looking at running a second team/ vehicle, they will probably be the guy for the job.

I was an apprentice myself, and once the owner of the firm took me under his wing I was full of enthusiasm for the firm. Unfortunately, you have to watch other staff, the managers of other sections were a right bunch of dicks so I explained the problem to the boss, and told him I couldn't work with those guys up my arse all the time. Looking back its kind of a shame that I did, but hay ho, water under the bridge now.