Heads up for the Gambia

nod

Hey Folks

Just wanted to let you know that our climbing trip to the Gambia is ON! Flights booked today &, I guess the clock is now ticking:thumbup1:

We aim to set in motion the wheels of a schools project that is run by the Eden Project in Cornwall called Gardens for Life; it basically connects schools within the UK to those in less privileged parts of the world & we are visiting an area in the Gambia that is part of the project. Unfortunately, due to reasons out of anyone's control in the Gambia, the project has ground to a halt & we hope to resurrect it by making a financial donation that will enable to refloat the project for a period of time in which an infrastructure can be created to sustain it for years to come.

One of the earliest signees to this trip was RobArb from the Arbtalk forum. Rob set himself a personal goal in order that he may raise awareness for the project & hopefully a few bob to boot. He decided to commit to riding the distance from his home to the Ballabu in the Gambia on an excercise bike at home, no mean feat when the distance is in excess of 6000kms. I know he's a good bit over 4000 now & no doubt fit as a butchers dog with it.

Anyhows, I just wanted to bring this to the attention of anyone interested in making a donation in recognition of this effort. Any donations will be given 100% to the Gardens for Life project in the Gambia. Please feel free to check the link & look for the yellow donate button on the site.

Arbography

As well as paying for the trip out of their own pockets each of the guys are also making a personal donation in thanks & respect for being allowed to climb some of the sacred trees within the Ballabu Conservation Project perimeters.

Many thanks

Nod

Good on you Rob!! If I had known I was coming sooner I would like to have drummed up some support too.. Bit late now :( Slacker.. Thanks to Nod, Gibbon and Dan Curtis for getting me involved with this trip. Should be an amazing adventure with some cool guys.:thumbup1:

Have a good one guys, I hope you all take a little bit of Africa home in your hearts! You will be back...

So I hope your first visit is a good, safe, productive and thought provoking journey..

Say hey to home for me :)

• 3 weeks later...