Elm tree reduction ?

haljam

Brighton is a different case, it is protected by The Downs.

Plus there is some very clever use of dead trunks to attract the beetle then removal to burn once eggs have been laid. (or something)

Hence the signs saying something like "you are entering a DED protection area or sommat on roads leading in.

I

yeh the problem with leaving "trap trees" is that they have to remember to leave enough budget to clear them at the end of the summer otherwise all youve done is create the perfect habitat ! im not sure im convinced myself , i cant see why a beetle would prefer a dead trunk to a fresh leaf :confused1:

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

yeh the problem with leaving "trap trees" is that they have to remember to leave enough budget to clear them at the end of the summer otherwise all youve done is create the perfect habitat ! im not sure im convinced myself , i cant see why a beetle would prefer a dead trunk to a fresh leaf :confused1:

They lay eggs under the dead bark where the larvae feed and mature then the beetle feeds on the fresh growth spreading the fungus picked up at larval stage

I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They lay eggs under the dead bark where the larvae feed and mature then the beetle feeds on the fresh growth spreading the fungus picked up at larval stage

I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep thats it .

Ditto

As far as I was told, about twenty yrs ago, once the tree is infected it chucks out phenols which is an attempt to block off any infection. In effect it chokes itself. I seem to recall being told that due to the speed of the phloem, any infection takes about 8 minutes to get to the top!!

I wouldn't worry about timing to be honest. An elm is gonna throw out shoots at every pruning cut. Just keep it as minimal as possible but enough for it to be worth doing.

clever tree...just biding its time?

if its root system survives,itll sucker...if those suckers flourish whose to say they wont mature?surely a possibility?

the streets are litered with stumps that have been debarked and they all sucker and look healthy and then all die off from ded , dont hink think ive seen a sucker yet to survive